Greetings Wrt People

steve855

Hello everyone,

I've been learning a lot here in recent weeks and you all seem like very decent folks so i figured I'd join up. I live in Pennsylvania, USA.

I'm on a couple other forums as well. I enjoy doing case finishing work and am just starting to learn about movements. I recently did my first disassembly and reassembly on a seiko 6119. I got it all back together and running! No lost parts or broken pivots so I was quite happy. Not a true COA by any stretch, but you've got to start somewhere, right? I didn't remove any jewels yet or open the barrel, but it was my first time so i tried to keep it simple. I just stripped everything down to the main plate then went back together. The calendar side was a bit tricky but I just kept taking it apart and going back together until i knew each component's function and where it belongs.

I didn't clean or lubricate anything- this was to see if i could even work competently on such a small scale before I invest any money in cleaning supplies and oil. I think I'll do this procedure a few more times then order some supplies in.

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge here, and thanks to Mark for providing this forum and your excellent videos.

Steve

Welcome aboard Steve, and well done with your endeavours so far. Like you I enjoy re-finishing the cases as much as working on the movements. I'm sure you'll fit in here just fine, and I look forward to seeing the fruits if your labours sometime.

• Like 1

Welcome Steve, well done on getting the Seiko back together, I look forward to hearing about the case refinishing".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks daz, the watch in question is a Seiko 6119-5450 Diamatic, case is in very rough condition, and the dial is not very good either. Also, it's missing the part which drives the day wheel, so I have some work to do. I bought this model because it was rough and cheap, and not really a style which I like. This was so I wouldn't feel bad if my attempt at movement disassembly resulted in its utter destruction!

Of course, now my teenage daughter likes it and she's pestering me to restore it for her, so I'd better get busy. So much for it being a throw away.

Off topic, her daily wear watch is a small seiko ladies diver bought on ebay, I think it's a 4205. I had to replace the transmission wheel and tweak the pawl lever but it's running ok now.