Sign in to follow this  
bcpitch5

Waltham Up Down Indicator Adjustment

Question

I have a Waltham 16s Crescent St. Mod 1908 pocket watch with up down indicator. When it is wound fully the indicator hand goes to 0 like it should but when it is completely wound down the hand goes down as it should however it is well past the 24 hour mark and is pointing at the 12. Is there a way to adjust this or maybe the mainspring is not right/too long? Any help would be appreciated!

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• this is watch repair anything is possible? This means that if you look on the catalog  pages of the attached PDF you may find the exact size jewel you're looking for. But is also the possibility of the various watch companies using their own jewels and the outside diameters might not correspond to the jewel sizes found on the catalog page. 5006 A_a_F Seitz jewels.pdf
    • That's great thanks. I think i'll give the chinese one a go. A question regarding changing jewels. Are you saying if i didn't have a replacement i would not find the exact sized jewel to fit so i would have to ream out the hole and fit one with a larger diameter? The inside measurement would always have to be the same though, in this case for the centre wheel to pass through.
    • Hi I am trying top locate hands for a omega cal 565  case num 166.025 Cousins don't have them, not omega anyway. I got the hand sizes from ranfft 1.50mm 0.80mm 0.18mm So i presume they are the hole size? So went on unbranded parts in cousins looking for hands. I can get the hour and the minute hand but the seconds hand fits onto a pin and secures the hour and minutes hands. How do i know what second hand i need? The hole which is 0.18 i understand but then it has to be wide enough on the outer side to secure minute hand? Sorry if i have not explained this properly but i'm doing me best. I've included some pics but i only have a phone cam so that's the best i can do with that. I also know the pics show the hole is dirty and uncleaned but i want to see if i can get this second hand sorted before i strip it and clean it. Any help advice appreciated. cheers gary  
    • The cap stones are the same both sides. I never seen such defects on the many I worked on. In some way it seems to me that is the domed side up, but it shouldn't. Before blaming the train check well the escapement, balance pivots, end-shake, hairsping shape, that there is no rubbing, etc.
    • My SARB17 has been playing up lately. The amplitude was low and it was losing minutes a day. I remembered it had got water inside some time ago (condensation on the glass) and although I reacted quickly and dried it out straight away, I thought I'd better take a look inside. Other than that, I'm not aware of anything happening to the watch, and it is only about 2 years old, and worn 2 or 3 days a week. It was running well until recently. I have stripped and cleaned the movement, inspected all the parts (absolutely no signs of rust) reassembled and lubricated, and was fully expecting a good result. Instead I have this: There does seem to be more friction in the wheel train than ideal. The pallet fork isn't flicking over with as much energy as I think it should. I will remove the barrel tomorrow and try to find where the drag is coming from. The amplitude is extremely low. The reading on the timegrapher above isn't to be trusted. I would estimate 80 degrees. The only fault I found when I inspected the parts were poor surfaces on the balance cap jewels. The first shows what appear to be manufacturing defects, and the second shows a dimple in the centre which could be wear. I'm afraid I don't know which is which. I mixed the up, and the dimensions are the same, according to my measurements. I have not closely inspected the balance pivots yet, but the balance swings freely when the pallet fork is removed. I'd appreciate any advice on likely causes and where to start looking.