seiko divers 200m problem

gary17

Hi

I was just trying to set the time on this seiko.

Instructions say turn crown anti clock wise and then pull. once to set date and twice to set time.

I tried this and the whole stem just came out.

I reset it and the same happened.

So after checking videos on youtube i had one more go and the result is in the pics below.

Is it just me or has anyone else experienced this problem?

Part of the stem is stuck in the crown as well i think

thanks 

gary

IMG_20191202_190329.jpg

IMG_20191202_190307.jpg

IMG_20191202_190342.jpg

IMG_20191202_190353.jpg

I can't tell from your pics if the stem simply screws into the crown or was supposed to be attached to the crown without coming off (unless broken).

Many if nost most Seikos have the latter type where the two parts are not supposed to separate and if it does you need a replacement.

Did you pull too hard ? Was this the first time that you did this ?

I believe the dial is misaligned because the stem isn't holding it in place anymore. The case back also helps in this situation as it too holds movements in place, in general.

Does the stem screw into the crown tube ?

hi

No the stem does not screw into the crown.

I bought it at auction. downloaded the instruction pamphlet.

Followed it step by step and all that happened was the whole stem came out attached to the crown.

So i looked on youtube and it says try turning the crown a quarter of a turn anti-clockwise and try pulling the crown out. this i did and the pics show the outcome.

When the stem came out complete attached to the crown though rigid it was as if it was attached to the crown by a ball joint. There was lots of movement horizontally and vertically.

Just my luck i guess.

Thanks for reply

gary

10 hours ago, gary17 said:

So i looked on youtube and it says try turning the crown a quarter of a turn anti-clockwise and try pulling the crown out. this i did and the pics show the outcome.

Just for the record. If you only have a quarter turn hold on a screw down crown that means its threading is done with. Normal is like 2 1/2  - 3, one turn is just acceptable.

Hi

Just looked up cal and it's not recognised by cousins or ranfft also says made in China. Think this is my first error. Is this a cheap copy? I cannot get part I need. Doh

£15.00 wasted me thinks. 

It works fine but cannot change time date or day lol

Gary

Hi Gary I also looked up the seiko 7N36C and found no trace even on the seiko site although that does not mean it never existed it may be that it is obsolete as so many quickly become in the quartz world.  I shall continue to search around and if I turn up anything I shall post it.  As Vinn says ok the price was not too bad so chalk it up to experience.  You may still be able to salvage the watch using a Hattori VX  or  Miyota movement of correct size .       all the best 

I don't see anything that cant be put right. Hattori movements are not expensive, and they come with a new stem that would most likely screw into your crown.One would probably set you back less than the price of the watch. look on esslinger. They list a hattori 7N36 for $21.95  they image they show is marked 7N36C, looks like a spot on match for yours.

Edited by yankeedog

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Gary I also looked up the seiko 7N36C and found no trace even on the seiko site although that does not mean it never existed it may be that it is obsolete as so many quickly become in the quartz world. 

Sure it existed in the Seiko entry range ,attached the technical sheet. Dat/date setting could be possibly repaired and I think the replacement is 7N33.

7N35C, 7N36C.pdf

hey

yer i need the stem and crown as 1 piece all im seeing is the stem for sale.

Bought the stem but still not sure how this will help surely i need the complete unit

thanks everyone.

gary

Edited by gary17

You need to post the 7N36-XXXX reference on the case back to at least identify the stem/crown P/N.
But if the pendant tube threading is in poor shape (can't really tell from pic), it would be pointless anyway, don't throw good money after bad.

7 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Gary I also looked up the seiko 7N36C and found no trace even on the seiko site although that does not mean it never existed it may be that it isas so many quickly become in the quartz world.  I shall continue to search around and if I turn up anything I shall post it.  As Vinn says ok the price was not too bad so chalk it up to experience.  You may still be able to salvage the watch using a Hattori VX  or  Miyota movement of correct size .       all the best 

The Seiko part number for the movement is U7N3620 it is far from  obsolete in that Seiko lists 50+ in stock.

Also Miyota is a Citizen brand, it will not fit in a Seiko.