Can't get the movement to release from the stem

I am new to this hobby.  Like... just-started-yesterday new... and right away I'm at a dead stop.  I can't get the movement out of the case.  My pocket watch I picked up while on vacation in Naples, Italy, last month.  The face is marked "Chronometre Jupiter".  I know literally nothing (but would like to) about its age, origin, or history.  I am following what I saw/learned observing 20 or more YouTube videos about tearing down a watch.  I took the front off.  Turned it over and removed two screws holding it in the case.  Pulled the winding stem out to the time set position.  The movement comes out of the case, tightly, with difficulty, at an angle to the case, as shown in the YT videos.  However at this point it all comes to a stop:  The movement will not release from the winding stem, no matter how I turn the knob or pull on the movement.  It won't let go.  In every video I've watched, at this point, the movement literally FALLS out of the case.  So I am wondering what to do next.  Is it possible there is a screw buried somewhere internally that has to be removed first?  Has anyone heard of such a thing?  I don't want to pull on it any harder than I have for fear of seriously breaking something.  Any thoughts on what might be the issue?

jupiter watch.jpeg

Loosen 1 1/2 turn the stem release screw and remove stem and crown. it's the smaller one nearer to the crown. That must be sure shown in any decent video.

In any case it looks like a nice piece, I don't know how much you paid it but In Italy nothing about watches is let go for cheap, so I would recommend that you practice on something of small or no value first,  since the chances of a beginner loosing or breaking something are very high. Not to mention you may not having got yet the correct tools.

• Like 1

Hi  If you follow jdm's advice and practise  on somthing cheap with no practical value  to gain experience no matter if it ends up as toast you will have learnt a lot.  I take it you live in America so look out for garage sales or yard sales for some cheap stuff.   good luck in you venture into the world of watch repair.

• Like 2

some pocket watches have stems attached to the movement, the square ended (male end) of the stem connect to movement and then connects into the female part of the stem which is attached to the case with a stem sleeve. not sure thats the case here, but def turn the screw and as you pull twist the crown back and forth like you are winding it. dont pull too hard or you will lock the keys and then you may have to do a complete teardown to reset them. I would frown upon using penetrating oil if you arent experienced enough or have the necessary cleaning supplies and solvents to get all of it off.

other option: remove hands, then remove the dial by turning two screws (located by balance and between bridges) half a turn, then poke through the holes next to them to pop out the dial feet (the copper things you see in the holes). unscrew stem screw all the way out, the little lever that holds stem in pace will fall out and stem should come out with ease.

Thank you, Everyone, for your helpful comments and advice to this beginner.  I really appreciate it.  Unfortunately, that screw refuses to budge, so in spite of warnings to the contrary, I took the advice of vinn3 and applied the tiniest drop of penetrating oil to it on the end of a toothpick.  I will let that sit for a day and try it again.

About choosing a different watch as my first project... I hear ya.  I paid $120 USD for it in a tiny little shop in Naples, Italy.  It runs... I would not have bought it otherwise... but later found that it gains 1-2 hours per day.  So my thought process is this:  It's pretty useless if it doesn't keep time, so it's pretty hard to make it any worse than it is.  I'm not going to pay someone else hundreds of dollars to maybe fix it... where's the fun in that?  So I can use it as a learning tool, and maybe... maybe... fix it myself.  We'll see.  I'm in no hurry so I will take my time, and apparently I have a world of knowledge and advice at my finger tips here.  Thanks again for all the responses!  Loren

If it runs it would make a great watch to start with. Parts are made to higher precision and go together well. Pocket watches are also bigger so parts are also bigger!

Please continue and if your are not sure of anything stop and check back here..there's always someone  awake somewhere in the world who can help!

Anilv