What is the correct way of hand polishing watches apart from cape cod cloth and etc?

number98

Hi, I was working on this Omega Planet Ocean and I noticed that there are two scratches on the polished side. I am not sure if the scratches were already here when I bought it or I scratched it when I removed the bezel using the A&F Rubber Bezel remover tool. Anyway It's been bugging me for the past few days. I want to polish it but I do not know what's the correct way of removing the scratches. I could use Dremel but I am afraid I would 1) remove metal 2) remove the sharp edges 3) distort the case shape 4) causes the surface blurry. I understand that some may just accept as it is and wear it but I can't and aforementioned earlier it's been really bugging me. I want to know what's the correct way of hand polishing (like what they learn in those watchmaking schools or in Switzerland) and not using a Cape Cod, Autosol and etc. I tried before Cape Cod and Autosol in the past before I started watchmaking and no doubt it's shiny but you could see there are even more scratches. Thanks!

2 hours ago, number98 said:

Hi, I was working on this Omega Planet Ocean and I noticed that there are two scratches on the polished side. 

This is often asked, havre you tried searching using the box top right. Anyway, the only way to not round edges is not going over them, using a small wheel. And I recommed that you do not practice on your valuable piece. 

Below what they teach at watchmaking school. 

Edited by jdm

15 minutes ago, jdm said:

This is often asked, havre you tried searching using the box top right. Anyway, the only way to not round edges is not going over them, using a small wheel. And I recommed that you do not practice on your valuable piece. 

Below what they teach at watchmaking school. 

Hi, I've watched this video many times as a member here recommended me to watch this video before but I don't have the confident to work on my precious piece so I am looking for a subtle, less ferocious way of polishing. I've been hearing people who hand polish but when I google it, I can't find it. I keep seeing cape cod cloth, autosol and etc. I am looking for other methods apart from these that I just mentioned because aforementioned earlier those methods do not work.

7 minutes ago, number98 said:

Hi, I've watched this video many times as a member here recommended me to watch this video before but I don't have the confident to work on my precious piece so I am looking for a subtle, less ferocious way of polishing. I've been hearing people who hand polish but when I google it, I can't find it. I keep seeing cape cod cloth, autosol and etc. I am looking for other methods apart from these that I just mentioned because aforementioned earlier those methods do not work.

Is not like there are secret alternatives, If you want to remove scratches you have to do buffing. As you have found yourself nothing else works. You can send the case to a restorer and have it done professionally.