balance spring loose frpm spring stud

gary17

Hi

I was trying to fit this balance when i noticed it was lose.

I have not had much success with balances before so wondered if someone could tell me the best way to go about reconnecting it to the spring stud without destroying it.

It is still connected to the spring boot.

See pics.

Any help (advice) would be a great help.

Do i remove the spring totally ?

Try to reconnect it from the way it is now?

How can i loosen the stud screw without it moving away from me?

Can i put it in a vice?

What parts can i hold in a vice?

Thanks

gary

Sorry pics aint great but best i can do with phone camera

IMG_20191129_211112.jpg

IMG_20191129_211050.jpg

IMG_20191129_211014.jpg

The pictures are not too clear, but is the spring lying to the outside of the stud presently?  I can see a brass pin in the stud, but is there a screw protruding from the actual stud as well?

Stick the balance down on a piece of Rodico or bluetack.  Assuming a standard stud and pin set up, I would carefully try to remove the brass pin from the stud.  Then I might well remove the stud from the cock, and try to slip the HS thru the stud hole and then remount the stud in the cock.  Then try to carefully re-insert the brass pin to secure the HS.  Realize even if successful, you will have likely some timing issues if you don't get the HS/Stud position just right as the spring was initially vibrated to determine the position in the stud.  That's my take and it will be a bit of a PITA to do this so take your time and get it as close to right as possible.

Good Luck.

RMD

Hey

Yer removed brass pin and the stud. Only thing is now i do not have the magnification to see them close enough to attempt to try to slip the HS through the stud hole. Hope santa brings me a scope that i can use to see them.

Thanks for your help. Im sure it would have worked if i could just see the damn parts.

cheers

gary

• Like 1

Hi Gary   have a shufty on the bay there are some electronic scopes on there probably chinese reasonably priced and do a reasonable job. Ihave one and had no problems with it.  A double lens loupe of suitable magnification should enable you to fit the spring ok. The method I have used is re fit the stud to the cock lay the balance on the cock, remove the pin and manipulate the spring into the hole then fit the pin, tight enough to hold it in position so that when re fitted to the movement any timing issues can be addressed by altering the spring in situ. As mentioned by Rduckworth its a PIA and takes a lot of patience to achieve

• Like 1