Why do Collectors HATE Timex Watches?

THis video on youtube has many mistakes. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6_o05HKFeE

and here is my reply to him -

You made three major mistakes in yoour facts. 1) the Marlin was not introduced in the 1960's , rather it was introduced in the 1950's. 2) there are more screws on the dial side to allow the movmentment to be taken apart. Did you try to take the dial off? 3) Timex watches very much can be repaired. Well there are more points to be made as to why Timex watches are popular with collectors. Need more information? just aks JerseyMo and I'll be happy to explain.

• Like 3

I have worked on a few Timex's and a managed to get then running. However the performance shown on the Timographer was poor due to wear in the pivot holes. That is the main issue for me, I just don't like vintage pin lever movements that have no jewels. 

38 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I wouldn't repair them. Always sent them back to Dundee Scotland. 

Fair enough. But that is a perfectly sensible  business decision.

You could presumably better use your time, and make more money servicing a clock or Swiss movement, since Timex Dundee offered a repair service that meant it made more sense to you and your business model to send it away.

However other people at the time could and did service them locally. If you were an authorised Timex service agent back in the day, then that was a part of your business model.

The poster of the YT video erroneously stated that they could not be serviced. @JerseyMo and I corrected him on this point, and detailed how this could be done relatively easily by anyone why simply followed the process and the documentation available from Timex at the time, and still available on line to this day.

1 hour ago, clockboy said:

I have worked on a few Timex's and a managed to get then running. However the performance shown on the Timographer was poor due to wear in the pivot holes. That is the main issue for me, I just don't like vintage pin lever movements that have no jewels. 

This too is a fair point. You have no jewels to replace, and attempting to re-bush a pin lever Timex would be more trouble than it was worth financially, however worn pivot holes are relatively uncommon, compared with poor performance caused simply by dirt and neglect. Most of the old Timexes I have looked at fall in to the latter category and work acceptably (within the original spec), once cleaned and lubed.

• Like 2

Hearsay and misinformation is why I replied to that video.  If you are going to present yourself as someone with knowledge or a level of expertise you better have your facts straight.   Well that is unless you are running for political office.  

Peace and happiness!

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Today's "Watch of Today" - posted here, because..

RIMG0206.thumb.JPG.4860718464d90bd269fe98f647e1736d.JPG

Poking out from between my gloved hand and my fleece sleeve, about to venture out in to the wintry wilds of Scotland for the day.

RIMG0199.thumb.JPG.d371885b92aa5e0da09ddeb2cc6129d8.JPG

A fully serviced, fully functional piece of finest Dundee technology. A 1973 Timex Viscount Automatic day date (46850-3373).

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

One other thing. Sending the watches away, many just got replaced by Timex with a new watch for the price of the repair. 

no issue with that but, in no way does that support his claim that the watches could not be repaired and were designed to throw away.

Now I'm curious about the return \ replacement you mention.  How long would Timex apply this policy to one of their products?

One year or several?

Hi there JerseyMo  I think we are approaching timepiece snobbery, Just because you pay £5 for a new watch doesn't make it any less than £5,000. The difference is when you flash your watch some one will ask is that a Rolex, where as if you did the same no one would bother to ask is that a Timex. They were designed for a purpose to enable the working classes to own and wear a watch, and this they did very well. The proof of the matter is that all these years later they are still being worn, repaired and collected,  which bears testimony to the design and build of a watch of that price bracket. The fact that you can if prepared to look get hold of most if not all of the timex service data. Ok they were not billed as the must wear watch at Saint Tropez or the Cannes film festival but they did what they were made to do, and long may they be collected repaired and worn.:thumbsu:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JerseyMo said:

Now I'm curious about the return \ replacement you mention.  How long would Timex apply this policy to one of their products?

They appeared to offer a 1 year warranty in the 1950s as standard, but I suspect as with most things, you could extend that.

timexwarranty2.jpg

The Dundee warranty was likely to be similar, as the two Timex companies of the day (US Time Corp and UK Time Corp) were under the same umbrella as it were.

More info here -> https://randomfootage.homestead.com/timexwarrantycard.html

I did see some UK Time Corp warranty stuff while trawling the interwebz a while back, but I can't find it right now. If i uncover it, I'll post the details here. As I recall the UK warranty card required the watch to be sent to a PO box in Dundee, but the head office was listed in London (for marketing reasons no doubt).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi there JerseyMo  I think we are approaching timepiece snobbery, Just because you pay £5 for a new watch doesn't make it any less than £5,000. The difference is when you flash your watch some one will ask is that a Rolex, where as if you did the same no one would bother to ask is that a Timex. They were designed for a purpose to enable the working classes to own and wear a watch, and this they did very well. The proof of the matter is that all these years later they are still being worn, repaired and collected,  which bears testimony to the design and build of a watch of that price bracket. The fact that you can if prepared to look get hold of most if not all of the timex service data. Ok they were not billed as the must wear watch at Saint Tropez or the Cannes film festival but they did what they were made to do, and long may they be collected repaired and worn.:thumbsu:

You're missing the fact that they're only being worn, collected and restored by Andy. Lol.

:D

• Haha 1

Hi  I think there are more being worn out there than we think  but how many of you would admit to that ? not enough street cred in a Timex. Me if it works and you like it wear it I have several including a micky mouse one and keep them for postertity. My daily watch cost me a tenner and is a good runner and quartz. At my age Iam past street cred. It looks reasonable keeps good time and glows in the dark what more do you need. Long live common sense.:lolu:

• Like 4

13 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

no issue with that but, in no way does that support his claim that the watches could not be repaired and were designed to throw away.

One year or several?

Sorry I can't remember. This was back in the 70's and 80's. 

For some reason that reminded me of the Vogons in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

"Meanwhile, the natural forces on the planet Vogsphere had been working overtime to make up for their earlier blunder. They brought forth scintillating jeweled scuttling crabs, which the Vogons ate, smashing their shells with iron mallets; tall aspiring trees with breathtaking slenderness and color which the Vogons cut down and burned the crab meat with; elegant gazelle-like creatures with silken coats and dewy eyes which the Vogons would catch and sit on. They were no use as transport because their backs would snap instantly, but the Vogons sat on them anyway. "

My scintillating non-jeweled black dialed Marlin is still scuttling away nicely, but I'm keeping it away from the screen in case you reach out and give it a whack with your Timex detecting iron mallet.:P

• Haha 1

On 11/25/2019 at 8:29 PM, watchweasol said:

Couldn't agree more! Whenever I'm servicing or repairing a watch I wouldn't treat a russian Poljot any less than a Patek. I can certainly enjoy any watch as long as I can see that some passion went into it.

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AndyHull said:

For some reason that reminded me of the Vogons in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

"Meanwhile, the natural forces on the planet Vogsphere had been working overtime to make up for their earlier blunder. They brought forth scintillating jeweled scuttling crabs, which the Vogons ate, smashing their shells with iron mallets; tall aspiring trees with breathtaking slenderness and color which the Vogons cut down and burned the crab meat with; elegant gazelle-like creatures with silken coats and dewy eyes which the Vogons would catch and sit on. They were no use as transport because their backs would snap instantly, but the Vogons sat on them anyway. "

My scintillating non-jeweled black dialed Marlin is still scuttling away nicely, but I'm keeping it away from the screen in case you reach out and give it a whack with your Timex detecting iron mallet.:P

Hitch hikers guide, a literary masterpiece that the series and sadly the movie failed to fully capture.

I wanted a babelfish for many years.

• Like 2

The very first watch I spent my own money on was an Indiglo model back in 1993. I was enamored by the technology. I was in the service then and for me it was a home run, stylish, functional and practical. I kept the watch until it broke one day about 7 years later. For nearly 20 years I got out of the habit of wearing a watch every day. For me they were a nuisance more than anything. I had always kept my eye on Timex's but was never really impressed with any of their offerings.2 years ago I picked up the habit again, which turned into serious collecting and then I applied my tinkering hobby to become a hobbyist watch maker. During this time I still wasn't paying much attention to Timex as a brand, until 2 weeks ago. I picked up 2 one electric and one manual Marlin at an antiques show and have been bitten by the bug. They're super simple in design and manufacture, They're robust in engineering and with proper care, can be reliable and fairly accurate time pieces. Their design was always stylish and trendy. The vintage models I have been looking at lately are very appealing. For me, they'll make great practice for my watch making skills. on a side note, I saw The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie, one of my all time fave's!  

• Like 2

My first watch was a Timex, 53 years ago this Christmas still can see the little watch now.
Love vintage watches, I think it’s because of the size and shape that makes them comfortable to wear
There was an Ingersol watch factory just up the road from me, it was locally called the ticktock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3