Screwdriver Set

Hi all,

Firstly I would like to wish everyone a happy new year...

I am looking for a new set of screwdrivers and have tried out a couple of Bergeon ergonomic screwdrivers (which have not been good) and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with cousins own branded set at just under £60.00 they seen good value for the price...

Any thoughts appreciated

Best Wishes

Darren

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If they come with a base then they look similar to the French ones Don gave me.  So far I am very happy with them. The seem to be good quality and I can replace the blades with higher quality ones.  I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon since there is plenty of other things to buy first.

Hi Darren,

I'd like to chip in here for a moment, with my opinion on the subject.  It's no better opinion than others, but there is wisdom in hearing a few thoughts and views on any given subject :)

In the field of watch repairing, there are two items that you should buy, not on price; but on feel and quality alone ... these are screwdrivers and tweezers.  They are an extension of you, and when it comes to screwdrivers, should last you a lifetime.  As Bob and myself have stated, they become "Old Friends" that you come to know, trust, and love using.  These two items I do not consider an expense; but rather an investment.

I use the Horotec 01.201 screwdrivers, with the ball bearing heads, and am extremely glad I paid the extra dollars for them, as they feel wonderful in the hand.  But if they are a little too pricey; I noticed that Cousins have a Bergeon 9piece Stainless Steel Set - with Stand, for just over £65.00, which is better than a generic branded set.

It really greaves me to read that people have spent their hard earned dollars on cheap tools, only to later re-purchase the exact same item at better quality.  The original funds used buying sub-standard equipment has been wasted, and could have been used to further increase their inventory of tools; rather then purchasing the same item twice ... but that's just how I look at things.  Buy things once, and buy them to last: is how I've been raised.  They don't have be new: a lot of my tools are secondhand, but they are good quality, and I will never have re-purchase the same item again in most cases.

Tweezers are a simple matter.  If you buy cheap ones, you'll end up spending the cost of Dumont's on replacement parts you loose as they ping into that dark abyss where springs, screws and incabloc jewels find themselves.  Either pay for quality tweezers; or pay for lost parts -_-

**Lawson ends his diatribe, and steps off the soapbox**

Hi Lawson

Thanks to both yourself and Blakel, some very wise words there and it's made up my mind to hold off, do so more research and go for the better Bergeon or Horotec sets as you are indeed right it is far better to go with better. My sincere thanks to you both, and now...

For the great Bergeon vs Horotec debate Lol[emoji1]

Many Thanks once again Guys

Hi Guys. I have always used Bergeon drivers so cannot comment on the Horotec although they do look excellent!

Having recently found the need for some larger sizes I looked on cousins site and ended up buying the Bergeon 9 set below.

post-89-0-44809700-1420189910_thumb.jpg

I have found these to be excellent in all respects and they do come with spare blades so for the price I think they are great value. As a hobbyist I try to balance the cost of tools with the quality I require so for me these were a no brainer as I can sell on my old sets and recover most of the costs, complimented with a new set of Dumont tweezers I am now skint and may have to sell a watch or two :(

• Like 1

daz, on 02 Jan 2015 - 6:37 PM, said:

Hi Lawson

Thanks to both yourself and Blakel, some very wise words there and it's made up my mind to hold off, do so more research and go for the better Bergeon or Horotec sets as you are indeed right it is far better to go with better. My sincere thanks to you both, and now...

For the great Bergeon vs Horotec debate Lol[emoji1]

Many Thanks once again Guys

You are most welcome mate.

Debates over these two brands are indeed silly.  They are both excellent quality, and fit for task.

The reason I went with Horotec over the Bergeon was the ball bearing race for the finger support ... whether this is an advantage or not, the advantage would only be a small one.

I'm also interested in perhaps 3 of the new Bergeon 7965 Drivers with the "Speed Tork" attachments ... in say 0.8, 1.0, and 1.2mm, kept special with brass tips for display backs with blued screws.  They are some nice lookin drivers, and I love good tools ... but that's for another time and topic :)

They look a great set Maurice so I will definitely check those out, but I may also be looking at selling a couple of watches from my collection ( I have a few[emoji4])that are in need of minor repairs, one 9k Record and a Tudor so they may go towards the cost...

My work horse set is the same Maurice shows above (for under US$100 at ofrei). It does all I need and more. No need to go further down money lane.

As a side note, I also own a mix and match assortment of Horotec, A+F and original Bergeon (round top, brass body) drivers some with the fancy tip and/or brass tips. Needless to say I hardly use them although sometimes they see some light action. Of all of them, the original Bergeon is the least I like since it tends to roll when I put it down. They are all good and/or professional quality and no matter which you get they will do a good job. All take the higher quality Bergeon and Horotec blades and have good handling. I'm kind of partial for the Bergeon set above maybe out of using it so much.

I wouldn't doubt that the Horotec set Lawson talks about is superior and more durable due to the construction. It will also take all sorts of quality blades from different vendors too.

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

Thanks Bob

I must admit that the Bergeon set does look good and it's great that you guys have also said what sets you use and prefer, it makes the descision a whole lot easier to make...

Many Thanks Guys

Best Wishes

Darren