Stian

Misaligned day disc in ETA 1164 movement

Question

Hi gurus, 

I'm working on an ETA 1164 triple calendar movement and the day disc does not line up well with its window, see picture. The jumper action seems fine and there are three jumpers for the date mechanism which are all identical. Thus mixing them up should not matter.

Has anyone incurred such issues before with this movement? Is the only remedy to adjust the profile of the jumper?

-- 

Best regards,
Stian

20191122_122345.jpg

6 answers to this question

I've seen this on a movement with an incorrect jumper spring where the spring action was too weak to snap the wheel into position.

On the 1664 the different jumper springs have different part numbers (2571 vs. 2583). Likely the springs (and jumpers) are the same as you say but I'd recommend rechecking just to be sure. You shouldn't have to be reshaping a jumper's profile.

16 hours ago, WatchMaker said:

I've seen this on a movement with an incorrect jumper spring where the spring action was too weak to snap the wheel into position.

On the 1664 the different jumper springs have different part numbers (2571 vs. 2583). Likely the springs (and jumpers) are the same as you say but I'd recommend rechecking just to be sure. You shouldn't have to be reshaping a jumper's profile.

Thanks for your response! You're saying 1664 but I assume you meant 1164? I haven't found the tech sheet for it, would you by any chance be able to share it? 

-- 
Best regards,
Stian

Like you I found the tech sheet for the 1164 elusive! I instead took a look at Cousins, who are pretty reliable on detailing parts correctly, and noted different part numbers for the day and months springs. [There was also https://www.spareparts-watches.com/product/992214/eta-1164]. Knowing I've had a similar problem to yours with an incorrect (= too weak) spring then I made my suggestion.

Having a bit more time today to look around I've only been able to find the 1164 in Bestfit:

image.thumb.png.ebff85af061b6b70fc4fd5229dc5ef51.png

However from this it's now clear that the 2571 part I mentioned is a different beast to the 2583! As you said the springs you're interested in are the same despite different numbers so 2583 (month jumper spring) = 2573 (day jumper spring) = 2575 (date jumper spring). Same story for the jumper levers themselves.

Long story short ... you can probably ignore my initial suggestion! I think all you can do at this stage is (re)check free lever and spring movement and that there is nothing rubbing.

Good luck! 

Edited by WatchMaker

Hi Stian,
I'm currently working on a watch with an ETA 1164 caliber, and I need a date lever (ref 2566). Is there any chance that you have one in spare part?
By advance, thank you! You can reach me at amory [dot] papavero [at] gmail [dot] com

I cant recall working on these, but would like to suggest that if (with the dial removed) the wheel snaps over nicely, the dial is not impeding it in any way and it is off set for all days, could it be that the wheel is out of phase with the drive ratchet. That is the wheel may have slipped on its centre. (hope you understand what I'm getting at)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.