Happy New Year!

Happy new year to all from the cold mountains of Miami, Fl....oh wait, I got carried away...no mountains and no cold! :) But enough warmth in the wish to melt any snow! Glad to be around you excellent people!

Cheers,

Bob

Belated happy NewYear from me in Geordieland.

I stood outside from 11.55 pm on the 31st with my coal, bible, bottle of Singleton and shiny coins and was really happy to get inside after the 12.00 mark for a warm up which happened as soon as I cracked open the whisky and gave a drink to all and whilst the front door was opened to let me in so the back door was opened to let the old year out.

This was a tradition passed down through the Scots side of the family and one I am happy to continue.

Anyone else got any family traditions ?

Cheers, Vic

When I lived in Glasgow after the war, my father always worked on Christmas Day (he was a scientist in a paper mill by the river Kelvin), but had New Year's Day off. Neighbours were in and out all New Year's Eve evening, some with blacked-up faces like chimney sweeps, and I do believe a bottle or two was opened.

These days, an old friend of ours spends New Year with us - travels over from Shropshire - and we play Scabble and drink wine. Exciting, eh?

These days, an old friend of ours spends New Year with us - travels over from Shropshire - and we play Scabble and drink wine. Exciting, eh?

Depends on the amount of wine. I can imagine some interesting words made their way onto the board :)

This year I sat alone (wife fell asleep) with a bottle of Courviousier watching the Jools Holland Hootenanny on the beeb - brilliant!

Aye you and me both mate.

It's been a tad hectic for me. I have done little as regards tinkering. I unhoused my brother in laws carriage clock and as you know got the key and knob for hand adjustment off but then everything stopped for various dinners and trips - I am not really complaining but sometimes a quiet sit down and tinker with a watch helps sort out your mind a bit.

Anyway, I have made some purchases, I bought some of those renfer lengnau movements and got them sent to my son so they work out at about 2 quid each inclusive of postage - worth a punt. Also bought some Roamer stuff and another busted jump watch (needed a back). I got some molykote dx to try as well - cheaper than D5. Might be useful on the carriage clock - must ask clock boy.

So there is fun to come.

Anyway I am doing my usual wandering post so I will leave it there for the now.

Cheers, Vic

It's been a bit hectic with little time to tinker and sometimes a bit of watch repairing helps me settle down and get my mind in order.

Bought some of those Renfer Lengnau movements and got them sent to my son so they worked out at about $3.00 each inclusive of postage. Worth a punt for 5 new toys to tinker with.

I look forward to sorting out the carriage clock. Got dome molkote Dx as Mark seems to rate it as a reasonable alternative to Moebius - may be useful on the clock - maybe you or clock boy can comment on that.

Bought a busted up jump watch for the back and found some Roamer parts I didnt really need but they were cheap so they are going in my parts collection I am starting to build .

Looking forward to 2015 looks like it could be a good one !

Hearty Cheers,

Vic

It's been a bit hectic with little time to tinker and sometimes a bit of watch repairing helps me settle down and get my mind in order.

Bought some of those Renfer Lengnau movements and got them sent to my son so they worked out at about $3.00 each inclusive of postage. Worth a punt for 5 new toys to tinker with.

I look forward to sorting out the carriage clock. Got dome molkote Dx as Mark seems to rate it as a reasonable alternative to Moebius - may be useful on the clock - maybe you or clock boy can comment on that.

Bought a busted up jump watch for the back and found some Roamer parts I didnt really need but they were cheap so they are going in my parts collection I am starting to build .

Looking forward to 2015 looks like it could be a good one !

Hearty Cheers,

Vic

Sorry Mark,

I am not drunk but did have difficulty with my iPad when posting. The post did not reflect on the site as normal but seemed to hang. I then lost it and rewrote but the same thing happened. Embarrassing after 23 years as an IT admin and repair.

Please eradicate as you see fit

Vic

Thought I was losing it but glad to hear I am in good company. Sitting in my daughters house whilst the plumber wrestles with installation of one of those tall modern new radiators - weighs a ton. Normally use my PC but that's at home.

Cheers,

Vic

Hi Vic,

Welcome back. My wife has a tradition: she snores louder after 12 midnight...doesn't necessarily needs to be a new year.  :)

We just had a quiet evening dining all together and having a good time. It was less "agitated" than other years but enjoyable the same.

Edited by bobm12

Hi Bob,

Good to talk. That sounds like heaven. I am all for a quiet time and a bit of "crack" (thats conversation in Geordie parlance not that other substance )

I got in a couple of funny moments with my expressions in LA and my son stepped in to explain to my in laws who are American of Chinese descent what I actually was talking about. With my accent most thought I was a Scot anyway which is understandable. Makes for a bit fun. They all knew what Newcastle Brown Ale was!

Cheers,

Vic

Vich,

I have never used molykote dx so can not comment other than lubrication is not as critical as watches. I have said this before on other posts I have used many lubricants and too be absolutely honest have not seen any difference. The key to clocks is nicely polished pivots with no scoring, spotlessly clean wheels & no worn bushes. The lubrication does not make a huge difference. I read about an Amercian clock repairer who as an experiment stripped & serviced a 400 day clock but did not lubricate anything. It ran for 6 months and under a loupe he stated that no wear was visible . I find it hard to believe the wear bit but the running bit is vary possible as 400 day clocks need very little power to run.

Edited by clockboy

Hi Vic,

That's too funny! :)

By the way, I've use the molykote dx on the keyless works on Unitas 6498 and it works very well so I don't see why is shouldn't for your application. It is a substitute that some people like better. I agree with clockboy about having good polished pivots and add that jewels/seats where they go should be immaculate too.

Cheers,

Bob