Round click spring?

jdm

Another lesson learned, I broke the click of a Seagull mov.t  (no parts available) while letting down power. Bad design, isn't flexible enough to stay away from the ratchet wheel while do so. Better let it unwind by itself if possible, or be extra super cautious. Anyone can suggest a spring that I can adapt? The hole is 3.5mm. 

DSC_0133-800x600.JPG

Edited by jdm

4 minutes ago, rduckwor said:

I think CousinUK offers an assortment of click springs for short money.

Even "round" ones? Someone told me that he has never seen one like that, and he has seen very many.

2 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

Have a Seagull watch i can't repair. I can have a look if it has the same movement. And if the part is okay in it. 

You're always super helpful Rogart!
Then I placed it above a 7S26 calendar plate.

DSC_0134-600x800.thumb.JPG.b5fd90d168c45bff07957bd651437769.JPG

It's just 0.03mm thinner. I know how I will spend a couple hours tomorrow :blink:

As soon as I saw this part I thought "isn't that a regulator?!". A quick search and you'll see what I mean: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arrow-Register-Regulator-Ref-300-Sh-Al-11-1-5-Russo-Automatic/223510751654 !

I suspect you're already looking forward to a couple of hours of filing on the calendar plate, and I realise a regulator may be too thin, but maybe worth a second look in your spares box in case this idea offers another avenue! <_<

Edited by WatchMaker
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rogart63 said:

Is this the same? Doesn't look like it? This has a normal clickspring. 

No, mine it's an open-heart, big date, full calendar. I was thinking it's a Sea-gull 2L55 that has same size and layout, but the calendar works is different. Quite poor quality, likely due to a shock one shock spring went roaming bith small hands same, and rotor has separated at "riveting", yet the owner wants it repaired at any cost.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I have always had it in my mind that hairsprings can fatigue in just the same way as mainsprings can. If a hairspring has gone through a rough process of repair then its structure will have changed ( bending any metal backwards and forwards will cause micro fractures and eventually breakage ) in those areas of heavy manipulation. Its strength and elasticity is no longer linear over its full length so no longer isochronical.  
    • This seems to be complicated case... We have many variables here and we need to exclude some of them to make some progress. We have plots that show amplitude variations, but we don't know if this variations are significant, as they can be 'amplified' or 'smoothed' by the software. So, some observation of the amplitude by eye will be of help. Then, if we really have not isochronical work, then the main reason for this would be the hairspring being not 'linear'. And not linear may be sometimes not only because 'touching', but because bad hairsping material structure. Some of the advanced watchmakers claim that repairing badly bent hairspring is useless, because this springs will never be isochronic again.  Well, my own observations are that such thing happens, but not in all the cases and it depends on the case if the result is acceptable or not. I will not suppose here that this spring has been repaired, but it has some strange behavior watching at it's work. It will be good if it is possible to test the movement with another balance or thest the balance on another movement...
    • The more common Jewel hole diameters are from about 0.07mm to 0.50mm. Those are the sizes in the Seitz jewel gauge tool.
    • Hello and welcome from Leeds, England. 
    • OK, several things to say here. The thought thay if with the old spring the movement works 16 hours, then replacing the spring will solve that - is totally wrong. With a new spring the movement probably will work for 17 hours. The power reserve is practically not reduced when the spring gets weak with the age. It is rather something wrong with the movement. As You worked on the hairspring, we need to  confirm that it is OK now before everything else. So, thake the lever out and do the free oscillations test. What is the result? I expect numbers, not only 'it is good' or 'it is not good'. Then, this is no jewels pin lever movement, so this is not unusual to have not well regulated or even worn escapement, this is the main reason that this kind of watches doesn't work as long and reliable as the jeweled escapement ones. You can find many of them with no wear at the crown and case, and this is because they stopped working normally pritty soon after purchase.