jdrichard

Burnishing Pivots and What it Does

Yes it does, but not enough to endanger the fitting of the pivot into the hole. Burnishing removes the faint marks left in the steel after turning/alteration due to wear or cutting a new pivot. It creates an extremely fine finish, like a mirror finish. It also helps in the rotation of the pivot, preventing it from binding in the hole. If you gauged before and after I don’t think it would change, providing the work has been carried out correctly.

It does remove (and compress) material, but it could be just a micron or two to several hundredths or more. Burnishers as used on pivots always have a straight grain texture, this is in effect a micro file. When burnishing on a Jacot tool you are removing a small amount of material as well as work hardening it. It does increase the wear resistance of a pivot. When I make a balance staff I generally leave the pivots 0.01-0.02mm oversize and bring them down to final size in the Jacot tool.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.