Seiko V172 minute dial and seconds hand no reset

Scorp

Hi All,

I have a Seiko V172 I won at auction, needed a new Solar Capacitor so fitted one and the watch time function is spot on. 

The Chrono however wont recalibrate to reset at 12. With the crown fully out (Position 3), I long press at 2pm or both 2pm and 4pm buttons but all they do is operate the chrono as per normal as if crown was at position 1.

The Alarm function can be adjusted. 

The Minutes Sub Dial wont count when the Chrono sweeps past reset... I'm suspecting that either a minutes gear has stripped or the coil has failed, would a faulty coil affect the ability of the watch to enter the calibration phase? 

Thanks in advance

Scott

20191115_085627.jpg

20191119_093557.jpg

12 hours ago, Scorp said:

The Chrono however wont recalibrate to reset at 12. With the crown fully out (Position 3), I long press at 2pm or both 2pm and 4pm buttons but all they do is operate the chrono as per normal as if crown was at position 1.

Could be that the contact to signal stem position to the IC is not working.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Could be that the contact to signal stem position to the IC is not working.

Seems highly likely. Maybe a quick squirt of contact cleaner into those contacts would sort it, or even just pulling the crown out and in a few times. Take care with electrical contact cleaner, you don't want to get some of those solvents on the dial.