repairing a timex expedition indiglo watch

fredm

hello folks, new here but i hope you guys can answer a question for me.  i picked up an expedition watch that indiglo didn't work on ... the watch runs, you can set it, but when you press the button in, you don't feel a spring of resistance, you just hear a mechanical click and the stem bottoms out.  so i thought, ok, let's see what's keeping this from happening.  sorry i don't have pictures of what i found, but can go back and take the thing apart again if need be.

the indiglo switch is on the wind side of the mechanism, and it's easy to actuate with the watch apart.  in fact, i can get the stem to do it, but only with the watch apart. there is a plastic spacer between the case and the mechanism, which means the crown doesn't directly touch the indiglo switch.

now the interesting part is when i took it apart, i found what looks like the world's smallest e-clip just floating around the stem, stuck to some grease on the stem o-ring.  is it possible that this e-clip is supposed to fit around the stem at the switch contact, and this is what's preventing the stem from working normally?

what makes it harder is that though i have a magnifier, it's really hard for me to actually see what's going on (aging and all).  and if what i'm thinking is true, the next challenge will be to somehow get that clip where it should be. 

any help you can provide would be great, thanks in advance!

• Like 1

that's it,  thanks very much!  now one other question: if i knew the model number of the watch, does the crown just screw off and can i get another stem from somewhere?  reason i ask is that looking at your clip, it appears to mostly go around your shaft, and i think mine may just be broken. the watch in question is a timex TW4B01700

https://www.amazon.com/Timex-TW4B01900-Expedition-Scout-Leather/dp/B00YTYI35W

what i may do is attempt a repair by sliding the clip in place with a little epoxy to see if it will hold, but if not, get a new stem.

thank you again!

great, thanks! ... where do you guys get timex stems?

i have been watching ebay to see if something similar comes up to use for parts

i also pulled out my stereo microscope from storage today, and was able to confirm it's an e clip and intact.  now i'll have to see if i can get it into place with a fine set of tweezers without losing it, then put a little filet of epoxy behind it.  should be fun ...

just buttoned up the repair and it's working fine ... and i thought i'd leave the solution to posterity in case anyone else runs into the problem and still has the e-clip.

tried for about half an hour to get the clip aligned with a set of magnetic fine tweezers, try as i might, i couldn't get the alignment more than a couple of times, but then couldn't seat it.  set it aside to put more thought in.

what ended up working was grabbing a refrigerator magnet and making a slit wide enough to hold the e-clip in the upright position, which i was able to maneuver easily with the tweezers then nudge with a toothpick.  placed a small wooden block underneath it so that crown would clear the bench, pressed the stem into the clip, and bob was my uncle, first time.

thank you all for your help, probably wouldn't have been able to do it without you.

-fm