Hand Wound Movement Service Procedure Video

I got turned onto perplxr's YouTube channel by another thread here. I spent 42 minutes of my Saturday morning watching this video http://youtu.be/Xnh7O22mduE. This caused my wife and both kids to question the state of my mental health. At any rate, it's a fascinating video but it left me wondering about the amount of lubrication being used. Maybe it's my lack of experience or the fact that much of the footage seems to be filmed at high magnification, but I really got the impression that the watchmaker used a LOT of lubricant. Any thoughts?

I don,t know if is the magnification or it is over lubed. The interesting bits for me was the way the mainspring was fitted with the abour already fitted in the barrel and the dynamic lubrication of the escapement. I have never seen these methods used before.

I don,t know if is the magnification or it is over lubed. The interesting bits for me was the way the mainspring was fitted with the abour already fitted in the barrel and the dynamic lubrication of the escapement. I have never seen these methods used before.

And no braking grease on the barrel wall!

Well Geo, now that you brought that up...I did apply grease to the inner walls of that 2824-2. I realized my mistake when winding it to get it started. It would only go a few winds and then slip! This repeated itself upon continuing to wind. I have seen various greases for lubricating the barrel walls and I imagined it needed it because of the great force exerted on those walls. None of Marks videos address this option that I am aware of, and in the ETA service sheet it only shows a complete barrel. I would like to know the official word on this.

Guys for the first time I lubricated a the barrel rim after watching the attached vid. If you look at my recent post re-Seiko barrel skim I lubed and the watch barrel rim as a fail safe and the watch runs great and winds great. I don,t think Mark uses this method but would be interested on what is the correct procedure.

Edited by clockboy

:lolu: BAHAHAHAHAHA! :lolu:  The "Cleaner-Cam" at around 15:00 is FANTASTIC! I love it!

I am a bit weirded out by the mirrored work surface, but to each their own.

Very well made video, the spectacular camera work was so good as to be a distraction.

One part of this method raises a question for me which I would like to loosely address to the more experienced present. In this video, the screws all got chucked into the cleaner together. I've got a long history of repairing laptop computers, mobile phones, and other small electronics, where the screws can appear identical, but misplacement has disastrous consequence. As a result of this, I am very cautious about mapping screws to their original locations, and this has followed me into the watch world. In this method, should one assume that experience is the key which will ensure that this guy replaces all of the screws correctly? Does this movement use only a single specification screw? How does one tell during the course of any general work?

And no braking grease on the barrel wall!

It is my understanding that braking grease is necessary only for mainsprings of automatic movements. The additional friction compensating for the lack of a fixed attachment point for the spring. Is this correct, or should braking grease be used in all mainspring barrels?

Hi rustycolt,

(IMHO) I believe experience with the movement you are working on could be a key to use the screws where they belong. In any case, keeping track of where they go is a good precaution since, as you said, misplacement could bring a lot of trouble!

Cheers,

Bob

It is my understanding that braking grease is necessary only for mainsprings of automatic movements. The additional friction compensating for the lack of a fixed attachment point for the spring. Is this correct, or should braking grease be used in all mainspring barrels?

You're absolutely correct, another huge dose of brain fade, I really shouldn't look at you tube when the grandchild is running about causing mayhem. It's been a bad week! :-)

perplxr always brings out great videos - just wish they would bring more :)

To comment on this video, I would add that the lubricant should be smeared in to reduce the risk of it being squashed down to the bottom of the barrel when inserting the spring. I personally would not have applied as much lubricant, but we all have our own techniques and theirs should be respected.

A great video with some useful tips, an eye watering moment for me was when he was lubricating the pallett jewel while the escapement was in motion, one slight slip and game over. It takes a real expert for a technique like that...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk