The Joys Of Ebay !!!!

Sold a nice French clock that I had refurbished & re-gilded on eBay 30th November I sent via to be signed for no problem I thought WELL.

This afternoon received a message from the buyer, "I have not received my clock". Checked with courier (Hermes) and they confirm it was delivered on the 3rd December & signed for by customer.

Oh no the customer still insists that has not received the clock. Contacted Hermes and forwarded on to him a copy of his signature and yes to have guessed it he claims it is not his signature.

Told him to take it up with eBay  Bang goes my 100%   rating on eBay  totally Pi**ed off. 

I feel for you with that one. Apart from asking him to contact EBay, would it not be a good idea to contact EBay yourself to let them know all that has happened and copy the letter to the buyer. Hopefully he should be understanding enough not to leave you bad feedback when he gets reimbursed.

I have had a couple of problems over the years, but have never had bad feedback due to intense communication.

Clockboy, a couple of weeks ago on Radio 4 there was a piece on Hermes drivers just leaving packages anywhere due to them losing there delivery fee. Think it drops to 18 pence per item on the second attempt to deliver. Wouldn't be suprised if the driver signed it and left it on the doorstep. A note to ebay wouldn't harm.

• Like 1

I have already contacted Ebay. The guy wants me to pursue it further but i have refused it is a delivery issue & I can not do any more . The issue will be for him to prove that it is not his or any other person in his house signature . If the driver signed then Hermes needs to investigate because this is fraud.

I must say I have used Hermes for the last two years and the service has been spot on.

A few months ago I purchased two large polythene bag motorcycle covers. The guy only sent one and refused to communicate with me until I involved EBay. Then he gets in touch, no apology and bleating that it wasn't worth his while sending them due to the cost of shipping, he set the prices not me. I'm sure he was ready to make out the the had sent two, but I had photographed the parcel and took close up details of the customs declaration. It ended with another being sent along with another email going on about the cost. I should really have left him negative feedback, but as it had at least been resolved, I left neutral. About a month later I had a ridiculous email from him asking that I remove the "negative feedback". If I could have, I would have changed the neutral to negative.

Luckily the vast majority of folk are honest and great to deal with!

eBay is pretty by the books where delivery confirmation is involved. I have had a couple of cases where things required escalation, so I have dealt with the resolution centre CSRs more than once, and they are pretty consistent. You can fully expect them to tell the receiver to pound sand. As far as they are concerned, you have completely met your obligation as a seller, and by opting for a signed delivery, you have met your burden of responsibility. Once it has been settled in your favour, you may request that the negative feedback be reviewed and removed. 

A royal pain, but don't baby/bathwater - eBay is a strong marketplace for us to buy and sell in, and it definitely has its flaws. One thing they can't be held responsible for is the worlds ever growing **BLEEP**hole contingency. I hope it all ends well for you.

-J

I have already contacted Ebay. The guy wants me to pursue it further but i have refused it is a delivery issue & I can not do any more . The issue will be for him to prove that it is not his or any other person in his house signature . If the driver signed then Hermes needs to investigate because this is fraud.

I must say I have used Hermes for the last two years and the service has been spot on.

Trouble is, all of the multi-drop carriers (including the Post Office) employ problematic members of staff, some more than others. You can use a company for years and suddenly find things going wrong.

As for signatures, the one I give bears no resemblance and varies from my true signature due to the increase in identity theft crimes, therfore I am not willing to put that on anything other than official documents. As suggested previously, a photo of the recipient would be more useful in a dispute, with the recent increase of this kind of problem (see other forums for similar complaints) its about time that fleabay & the carriers insisted on using it.

Hope it all works out in the end.

I deal quite a lot with buyers abroad and have just had a similar experience today, but thankfully I always send INT Tracked and Signed and was able to track where the parcel is, but my worst case involved a Buyer from UK. I always have tried to keep postage costs down and up till then had not had a.problem so sent all watches/job lots etc by ordinary 1st class which was a big mistake I know and a mistake that cost me over £100.00. Now everything gets sent registered and with correct insurance but I get some buyers complain about postage costs, however the vast majority of buyers I deal with are absolutely brilliant, sorry to hear of your issue Clockboy hope you get it sorted, please let us know how you get on...

Darren

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Update for those who sell on eBay. received this message today 

• Prevented 2 eBay Money Back Guarantee request(s) from being opened too early in the past 2 months

I think this means that they have not received money back. I have replied to eBay as I am only aware of one disputed transaction and I have also asked what I could do to prevent this happening again. 

Just by chance I met a guy at a new year party who has a eBay shop. He informed me that he gets at least one of these a month and he just re-funds because he needs to keep the100% tag or his sales fall. He also said the 100% is not all to be looked at. Look at how long they have traded, so I did and the guy who claimed he had not received the clock had been trading on ebay for 1 month & yet had 34 five ****** star excellent reviews drilling into his account further the 34 excellent reviews where just from four buyers.

Conclusion if I sell again I will send by registered post.

I've done over 300 eBay transactions over a few years now - buying and selling - and I've had one or two problematical ones, but that's all. I sold a batch of about 7 cheap wrist watches a couple of years ago - all at the same time - and, because they were very cheap, didn't use my usual 1st class Royal Mail registered post. All arrived safely but one - the buyer claimed he hadn't received it. When I checked the address, it was in the East End. I did a Google Maps street view of his house and saw a very flash, boy-racer car in the drive. I deduced he was conning me but - because I hadn't registered the parcel - I wrote the tenner off and refunded without question.

Lesson learned. I now always use 1st class, registered, signed for, fully insured Royal Mail, by 1pm the next day - no matter what the value of the parcel - and the buyer has to pay that, no matter what.

Edited by WillFly

I have a shop, not an eBay shop but a real life shop, and I've lost count of the number of times delivery drivers bring me parcels in and tell me - its ok I've signed it for you!

I'd blame the delivery driver/postal system - not the person, have you never watched the documentaries with the hidden cameras? or seen the footage from peoples CCTV cameras of couriers throwing parcels over walls etc its a dead end job - drivers deliver 100s or parcels per day, with very tight targets, stuck in traffic, they have 100s of drops usually set in an order to deliver, and sometimes they get to end of their round and realise they still have a parcel they missed which should have been their 3rd drop! should they go back? leave it till tomorrow and only get paid pennys for the second attempt? or sign for it themselves and keep it or fling it in a bush? I'm not saying all delivery drivers would do this, but i bet a lot would, and I'm not saying all people are honest, because they aren't.

I find the fact you googled the address and because of the car you decided you had been conned absurd... how do you know that car doesn't belong to the persons son, or daughter, I have a flash car you could say was a boy racer type, that doesn't mean I'm a fraudster or a thief!

Paul - there were several other indicators - mainly in the dialogue I had with the buyer on eBay, and too tedious to relate here - that gave me good grounds to believe I was being conned. I've never had a problem with the Royal Mail in all the years I've used them, as it happens, and I've never used firms like Yodel, Hermes or PDP, etc. I'm sure the Royal Mail staff may not always be snowy-white either - all I can say is that they've never caused me a problem in purchases or sales.

Just my experience.

Willfly,s experience and my experiences seem to be on the increase. There seems to be a growing number of con artists that are just spoiling the internet and sites such as eBay. I will follow Wills advise and in future only use registered post. The sad thing is this is just adding unnecessary costs to both buyers & sellers.

I wish I new the answer to this growing problem. 

I would still sell Clockboy

But I would make all the postage registered and set the postage price according to value of the item you are selling. I have some on at the moment which will only go special delivery

ebay is a great place to buy and sell and can be spoilt by one or two individuals once You have this sorted put this person username in your blocked bidder list . It's a shame a list cannot be made of bad buyers but that is only my opinion...

Best Wishes

Darren

I did t realise when I read the initial post that it took the buyer 30 days to advise he/she hadn't received the clock, in that case I'd say they took far to long to advise you of the problem. But at the same time, do you think someone trying to pull a fast one would have told you sooner rather than later?

when the item is slightly valuable , i try and take loads of pics before, i lost out to a buy who opened a watch, sent it back broken, because i reported that its broken just like the buyer did, he got the money back and i had a watch with a missing eta rotor..  apart from that all good!

• 2 weeks later...

FINAL CONCLUSION AT LAST 

Message from e bay today;

Customer Support has reviewed the case and made a final decision. 

s.gif

We've decided not to issue the buyer with a refund. You don't need to do anything else for this case. The hold on this PayPal transaction has been removed. This case is closed.

Decision:
This case has been decided in your favour. The hold on this PayPal transaction has been removed.

This has been going on & on & I would not back down. I did not keep giving the updates on this as I guess  members would have got fed up with this saga.
The crux of the matter was being tracked & signed for was enough evidence for eBay that it was delivered
Edited by clockboy