Bergeon 5700-Z and Horotec 07.130 Purchase?

LumeShot

Hi guys! I've been looking into upgrading some of my most used tools, and arguably, one of the most important tools I currently own. 

I've been reluctant to upgrade my caseback opener and crystal press to the upgraded, Bergeon 5700-Z and Horotec 07.130, due to their costs.

Currently, I'm using a chinese copy of the Bergeon 5700-Z, which has served me well, but the tolerances are not perfect. The bits that attach onto the bit holder do not sit parallel onto the casebacks I remove ( one sits slightly higher than the other ), which causes a large risk of slipping and scratching casebacks. In addition, the bit holder does not adjust evenly such that the bits don't move equidistantly from their respective sides, which makes it difficult to center the bits perfectly onto casebacks. 

As for the crystal press, I'm also using a chinese copy of what resembles the Horotec 07.130, except the lower threads don't sit on the actual base of the tool but are slightly elevated onto an intermediate plate. This leaves a small gap between the actual bottom dye and the base of the press. I've noticed that when applying a lot of pressure onto the tool when setting crystals, the intermediate base where the bottom dye rests on bends slightly down due to the applied force. The crystals seem to be going in very evenly so this has not been an issue, however, I like how the Horotec 07.130 has their dyes sitting on the actual base of the tool so that the bottom and type dye will always be parallel upon applying force downwards. 

This leaves me to ask, can anyone who owns the Bergeon 5700-Z and Horotec 07.130 provide their opinions about either tool? It is a rather large investment for someone who does not work on watches full time, but works on enough to consider it a part-time job. 

* Just a side question regarding the type of dyes to purchase for the Horotec 07.130*

I install both domed and flat crystals, but I'm unsure if the "Set of 12 Delrin Thread-on Dies for Fitting Very Domed Crystals" by horotec would be the best choice for my application.

Thank you everyone. 

The tools that I use right now 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.76aab8be8fd84c627bfef8f67f871e3c.jpg1231119731_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.fa92100d028ec31329f26e4f0d86c9af.jpg

The tools that I am considering to upgrade to 

msa07_130.jpg.e548630f91bbfabf907506c747aa5a51.jpgpotenza-professionale-bergeon-n-5700-z.jpg.fed4906c50b1f05cbe7dc064e8d8a11f.jpg1937113308_ScreenShot2019-11-12at4_37_08PM.thumb.png.ec132ba3fe564d23cc8fb2c35fa2f496.png

Hello,

I use the Bergeon 5700-Z... and I notice some extra work with the standard set. You always have to remove the strap or bracelet to fix the watch in the basic holder. Think they have a optional set so this will help the problem.

https://www.boley.de/en/shop/4168.case-holder/510358.case-holder

This problem is not present with the standard Horotec tool because of the different standard base and the Horotec is cheaper.

Horotec easy case opener press

Edited by Koen

I just received the same Chinese crystal press you have,  and I had some of the same concerns about rigidity as you. Glad to hear that it hasn't been a significant issue.  I suppose if it does become a problem, it will be time to come up with a metal block to slip under the support.

1 hour ago, Koen said:

I use the Bergeon 5700-Z... and I notice some extra work with the standard set. You always have to remove the strap or bracelet to fix the watch in the basic holder. Think they have a optional set so this will help the problem.

https://www.boley.de/en/shop/4168.case-holder/510358.case-holder

Same, for a reasonable price: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2029153808.html

BTW, my Chinese 5700 doesn't any of the issues described by the OP, and works perfectly. However, the casting isn't perfect, and the some of the bits sent were duplicated. I remedied that easily on the lathe,

19 hours ago, LumeShot said:

Currently, I'm using a chinese copy of the Bergeon 5700-Z, which has served me well, but the tolerances are not perfect. The bits that attach onto the bit holder do not sit parallel onto the casebacks I remove ( one sits slightly higher than the other ), which causes a large risk of slipping and scratching casebacks.

I think that can be caused only by the square pieces that hold the bits to be different height, and/or the bits themselves to not be accurate. It should be correctable without any special tool.

19 hours ago, LumeShot said:

In addition, the bit holder does not adjust evenly such that the bits don't move equidistantly from their respective sides, which makes it difficult to center the bits perfectly onto casebacks. 

Check that the square parts mentioned above are assembled correctly, that is they are inserted on the same turn of the threaded bar. Also, avoid tightening their knobs, so they can align better.