Demagneitize

oldgunny

Does an automatic watch have to be stopped in order to demagnetize?

However, if all you need to do is remove the battery, why not do that. As well, I don’t think magnetism is that much of an issue with an automatic watch, given that it runs on a small servo motor or a stepper motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, jdrichard said:

However, if all you need to do is remove the battery, why not do that. As well, I don’t think magnetism is that much of an issue with an automatic watch, given that it runs on a small servo motor or a stepper motor.

Uhhhhhhh... I'm assuming this is a brain fart... haha

• Like 2

Am I missing something? I've never heard of the term "automatic" used in association with any watch that takes a battery...

And to answer OPs question, I have ran my watches through the demagnetiser running without any apparent ill effect. But you might want to if you can to stay on the safe side

Edited by CaptCalvin
  • Like 2

Back to the original question, does an automatic watch need to be stopped in order to demagnetize it. Well, first of all, I do apologize for my brain fart. Somehow my brain mapped the word automatic with electronic and Quartz. Not sure why???

Back to the question. When I demagnetize a watch movement, I always make sure the power is removed as I do not want the magnetic force to somehow scramble the hairspring. Not sure if it would but I do know that when the balance turns to its maximum range and the hairspring has fully expanded, it is at its least tight point and perhaps could be vibrated by magnetism. So I would let the power down on the movement, then demagnetize.

Thoughts?