Completely shattered Crystal - watch repairable or not?

Glasso

Hello, so I have a quartz chronograph - not expensive but looked ok (first pic).

the domed crystal (described as mineral glass) shattered very easily (slight knock off a door handle).

I've taken out the miyota OS11 movement.

the problem as I see it is that the crystal is shattered (see pic) - is it likely to come out at all with a press or will bits get stuck and if so can they be removed?

also the chronograph pushers would impede the insertion of a press - how can these pushers be removed?

there does not appear to be any c-clip on the pusher and also there is no thread on it for a screwdriver so I have no idea how they are to be removed (pulled with a pliers from the inside or outside the case?)

or is it a lost cause/uneconomic ? thanks.

parnis 46mm full chronograph.jpg

parniss shtattered.jpeg

Just remove what is left and press in a new crystal, $1 if flat or a litte more if you like it domed. 

BTW we have a introduction section where it's considered polite to introduce oneself even before asking questions. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jdm said:

Just remove what is left and press in a new crystal, $1 if flat or a litte more if you like it domed. 

BTW we have a introduction section where it's considered polite to introduce oneself even before asking questions. 

thank you kindly and I will go to the introduction section and do up a short intro right now.

would you have any suggestion as to how to remove the bits effectively without a press so not as to get bits stuck?

also would you suggest where can I inexpensively source a new crystal? I don't know the crystal size but the width of the watch excluding crown is 46mm  and the miyota movement says that its minimum a 35mm case

You don't need any special tool to remove pieces, tweezers will do. Measure size with digital calipers. But you need a press to put it back, you can get a cheap one on Ebay, just don't expect too much from them.  Same for the crystal, there are specialized shops but Ebay is good for that also. 

thanks Jdm. I was thinking calipers and yes will probably pick up a press as suggested. 

will try just to break off the rest of the glass then without mangling the case. seems like not worth the hassle to try to work out the pushers as they seem to be fairly fiddly to deal with so best avoided for me. 

Hi Glasso welcome to the forum      I have attached the tech sheets for the miyota OS11 for your intrest,  Follow jdm's advise and pick out what remains of the glass carefully look and see if it has a gasket sealing the glass if so be careful removing it. Once measured and you have the dimentions Cousins.uk watch parts will be able to supply or on ebay look for a seller  "watchfan" he seems to have a comprehensive list.                                   

Miyota 0S11 - Specification.pdf Miyota 0S11 - Parts List.pdf

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Follow jdm's advise and pick out what remains of the glass carefully look and see if it has a gasket sealing the glass if so be careful removing it.

I think in this case it's better not to remove the crystal gasket, just inspect that is clean, measure the inside and the thickness of a fragment and that is the crystal size to order. Normally on economical watches diameter is always a whole mm or one half, which makes easier to find a replacement.

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Glasso welcome to the forum      I have attached the tech sheets for the miyota OS11 for your intrest,  Follow jdm's advise and pick out what remains of the glass carefully look and see if it has a gasket sealing the glass if so be careful removing it. Once measured and you have the dimentions Cousins.uk watch parts will be able to supply or on ebay look for a seller  "watchfan" he seems to have a comprehensive list.                                   

Miyota 0S11 - Specification.pdf 883.5 kB · 0 downloads Miyota 0S11 - Parts List.pdf 52.38 kB · 0 downloads

excelent refural !     is Specification.pdf   available for vintage watches?  vin

2 hours ago, Glasso said:

thanks Jdm. I was thinking calipers and yes will probably pick up a press as suggested. 

will try just to break off the rest of the glass then without mangling the case. seems like not worth the hassle to try to work out the pushers as they seem to be fairly fiddly to deal with so best avoided for me. 

don't forget safety glasses.  vin

• Like 1

thanks all for your helpful contributions. 

I had actually gone to ebay myeslf to look and found this listing before checking back here now and found this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-Domed-Mineral-Crystal-For-Parnis-Pilots-Watch/122766325172

It has a picture of the watch in a different colour scheme as the watch example (see second pic in listing)

now the seller (@Vinn3 it's the watchfan that you have referenced) doesn't directly give the specs but there is an  MPN number listed as 37.DFL.15 and that pretty obviously decodes as 37mm width , 15mm thickness and it's described as single domed, flat bottom. I guess that double-domed would work also? and double-domed is supposed to be stronger?

I had also hand measured the width as 37mm roughly.

Here is a picture of the case with the glass cleared. I did suffer a tiny cut pushing it out with a lens cloth! It appears that the housing wall is a vinyl one maybe?

Interesting I contact Parnis and they wouldn't tell me the dimensions! https://parnis.org/ typical Chinese sell you or nothing thinking!

1908922692_parnisscleared.thumb.jpeg.d9ad1c42f87a3b25267492eaca5b9a29.jpeg

do you think the vinyl housing will be ok to reuse. doesn't seem to have any glue / cement used or am I wrong there? - see pic.

would one of the ebay watch pressers do an adequate job? (not the best option I know but this may be a one-off job)

2 minutes ago, Glasso said:

do you think the vinyl housing will be ok to reuse. doesn't seem to have any glue / cement used or am I wrong there? - see pic.
would one of the ebay watch pressers do an adequate job? (not the best option I know but this may be a one-off job)

That is called a nylon gasket. As mentioned above already it does not need to be replaced, and an Ebay watch press is fine.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2019 at 5:46 PM, jdm said:

That is called a nylon gasket. As mentioned above already it does not need to be replaced, and an Ebay watch press is fine.

I was thinking that with a domed crystal it may be needed to use a concave top die to avoid the risk of breaking it. It may or may be not in the set that comes with a press. After all it can be more expeditious to get the crystal then bring it to a watch shop for installation. Some battery change booths are good and equipped for that.