My first hand assembled, custom watch.

FLwatchguy73

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to show off my first custom build. I've always wanted something that never existed anywhere before. I knew I wanted to base it off the venerable Swiss 6498 manual wind movement. I also wanted to use an old 12s pocket watch dial because they are fairly close in size to the 6498 dials and could work with a few minor modifications. I first sourced a dial, after some lengthy searching, I found a NOS Elgin. It had never been used and had the perfect visual feel I was going for. The numbers were all gold and in keeping with that vibe, I next ordered a gold colored Chinese case for the 6498. I also found an old Arnex pocket watch with a pristine 6498 movement but a rough case. I had the hardest time deciding what strap I should use. I knew I wanted leather, but that was it. I had nearly settled on an Ostrich strap but I happened upon a Russian made Laco strap and fell in love with it. It has a very unique design that would be perfect for my watch. As the parts began arriving I could almost see it on my wrist. The very last item to arrive was the case, 8 weeks from China, I think maybe they walked it to my house. I fist started with the dial. I clipped the dial feet off and then proceeded to slot the sub seconds hole as the Elgin 12s sub seconds hole was closer to the center than the one on 6498. And yes, the seconds hand is not centered in the sub seconds face, but I'm not the least bothered by it. I had to modify the movement retaining ring also as the Elgin dial is quite a bit thicker. I was able to reuse the hands that came with the Arnex because they fit my theme well. S0, this is a true Frankenstein with Swiss, American, Chinese and Russian parts, but it's all my design. I love it. Thank you for reading.

20190413_070315.jpg

20190517_102853.jpg

20190517_102911.jpg

20190517_103035.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, eccentric59 said:

Nicely done. You're so right, that strap is perfect.

Thank you. One of the reasons I was attracted to it was the patina'd brass hardware. Generally speaking I'm not a fan of gold watches and this was quickly becoming too much. The patina'd brass nicely compliments the gold of the movement, dial and case without overshooting my goal.