Is this normal? or is it exceptional?

aac58

I've never done this test, should I? If this is what I should expect after cleaning I'm more than willing to do it, so I can have a clue of how the train is behaving before going any further. But with all gears mounted including the barrel it looks too good to me.

Looks pretty normal to me. Should not expect any less. The true test is to mount the click and ratchet wheel and give it a few clicks of wind. What you want to see is the escape wheel turn backwards after the mainspring fully unwinds or even spin back and forth a few times.

3 hours ago, CaptCalvin said:

Looks pretty normal to me. Should not expect any less. The true test is to mount the click and ratchet wheel and give it a few clicks of wind. What you want to see is the escape wheel turn backwards after the mainspring fully unwinds or even spin back and forth a few times.

This is the test I do, but not all movements turns backwards at the end, especially Seikos don't do that. I'll test the air puff and see what happens. I'm quite sceptical though.

Edited by aac58
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, aac58 said:

This is the test I do, but not all movements turns backwards at the end, especially Seikos don't do that. I'll test the air puff and see what happens. I'm quite sceptical though.

Seiko's are just a bit more sensitive to cleanliness and lubrication. My recent 6r15 I serviced I made sure absolutely spotless under a microscope passed this test and gave me around 310 amplitude when some people settle with 240-250 with this particular movement. You don't need to give Seikos with 250 amplitude a free pass like so many people seem to do. They are absolutely capable of going well close to 300.

Edited by CaptCalvin