Tools you can't live without?

FLwatchguy73

Good morning folks. If you had to recommend 2 budget conscious (under $300) tools to a hobbyist watchmaker what would they be? I already have the bare minimum hand tools necessary to do the work. There are so many tools I'm sure I could find useful occasionally, but what would be 2 tools you would be lost without, other than screwdrivers, tweezers, movement holders, timegrapher, etc. Thank you.

58 minutes ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

Good morning folks. If you had to recommend 2 budget conscious (under $300) tools to a hobbyist watchmaker what would they be? I already have the bare minimum hand tools necessary to do the work. There are so many tools I'm sure I could find useful occasionally, but what would be 2 tools you would be lost without, other than screwdrivers, tweezers, movement holders, timegrapher, etc. Thank you.

save the 300 bucks  and search for used tools.  a book by de Carles at the library might be good.   vin

• Thanks 1

Above lathes are recommended but the OP clearly stated he's asking for tools under $300. And he mentioned ones excluding a timegrapher, which I suppose he already have. So I can recommend budget good opening tools as discussed below

And then a pressure tester, which is around $150 on AliX.

Its very sad but as you get older your fingers aint the same...I don't think I could do without a selection of those grab claw crown winders which keep my hand wind watches going especially when the crown gets a little worn. Perhaps I should just stick to automatic watches

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jdm said:

Above lathes are recommended but the OP clearly stated he's asking for tools under $300. And he mentioned ones excluding a timegrapher, which I suppose he already have. So I can recommend budget good opening tools as discussed below

And then a pressure tester, which is around $150 on AliX.

I have definitely encountered the need for a good opener. I was servicing a vintage Seiko 7002 diver for a friend and I nearly couldn't get the back open. Are there tools that make opening snap back cases easier? Knife blades are terrifying to use but occasionally that's all that will work. Thank you for the suggestion.