Grandads Watch needs repairing

Hi all, hope someone can advise. My Grandad gave me this watch when I was 9 years old back in 1981. It's a Swiss Emporor Deluxe 21 Jewels. I'm not sure if it's an automatic or mechanical wind up, but the crown is missing. I do know that it did have a crown and that the watch was working. But I was so young back then. I'm kind of getting back into watches again, and remembered I had my Grandad's watch that had been lying around all these years. Having looked at Timex Marlin watches with the dome crystals etc, I hunted high and low until I found my Grandad's watch. My question is is it repairable if all it needs is a new crown? If not too expensive I'd rather get it repaired than purchase a new one. Thanks 

IMG_20191107_170734.jpg

IMG_20191107_170652.jpg

IMG_20191107_170707.jpg

IMG_20191107_171010.jpg

IMG_20191107_171538.jpg

IMG_20191107_170827.jpg

IMG_20191107_171912.jpg

IMG_20191107_170800.jpg

Is it just the crown or the crown and stem?

If the former, any generic crown will do, perhaps with a stem extender if it's snapped off.

If the latter, then potentially yes but you'll need to know the movement make and calibre, there's usually a makers mark on the plate near the balance cock.

As M1ks  explained we need the make and caliber number of the movement. Having had a look at the photos just above the balance there is the number 4018 and what looks like a makers stamp but it is indistinct. The watch looks  as though it has had a tough life the case back has had a "v" cut in it and has been well goughed. The movement looks ok but dirty so there is hope its heart will beat again, with a good service and new stem away we go.

Looks like you have a Felsa 4018 so parts should be easily found (stem is 5.96 + vat & postage from Cousins and they have 257 in stock).

Almost certainly needs a full service to get the best from it, and it might be a good idea to change the main spring whilst you're at it, plus a new generic crystal and crown to really bring out its rather nice looks.

Unless something catastrophic has befallen it in such a way as to leave no obvious marks I would certainly say that it's do-able and worth doing, especially given its sentimental value.

Whether you tackle it your self or find someone else depends on your level of experience and how much you want to spend.

Thank you for the replies. This is all very new to me and to be honest wouldn't really know where to begin. No experience whatsoever. So I'm thinking my best bet would be to locate a watch repairer and get a quote as to how much it would cost to get the watch working again. I'm thinking the stem is still in there and it looks like the letter F next to the 4018, I could be wrong. When I move my wrist the second hands starts moving but then stops. Is this watch mechanical or automatic? 

IMG_20191107_202621.jpg

That is indeed an F next to the 4018 and is the makers mark for Felsa, the maker of the movement, and the specific caliber is 4018. If you Google Felsa 4018 you will find all sorts of information about the movement, which is a manual winding mechanical movement with (in your case) 21 jewels, and which ticks at 18000 beats per hour.

The watch brand is "Swiss Emperor" which was a Swiss based company around the 1960's through to the 1980's, I don't think they survived much beyond the '80's but I could be wrong on that count.

Yours has a 9Ct gold case which will help in dating the watch from the Hall mark, but from the styling I would hazard a guess at the 1960's. The inside of the case back does have some service marks in evidence so it has been serviced before.

It's a nice watch and from the sound of it just needs  a clean and service to get it running.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, it's been a while. I managed to get the watch repaired. Didn't cost too much. £40 and that's with a replacement stem and crown. The date application works fine, but the Day application does not advance how it should. Not too sure why but at least I can set the time now, wind it up and set the date.

When the watch is in the time set position, if I wind it counterclock wise the days do change to where I want it to be. But then as the days go by the day window doesn't change. 

I was going to ask how to remove the acrylic crystal as well, it is nicely polished on the outside, however when in direct sunlight at a certain angle these irritating marks, not scratches almost like an ageing mark was on the inside. Anyway this morning the crystal popped off so that's made it easy for me to get to the inside. Could have been the bit of pressure I was applying when polishing the watch that overtime. What glue would I use to glue it back in place and is there a particular method of doing so as not to get the glue where it shouldn't be.  Overall I so pleased that it's working. Out of the few watches I have it's now my favourite time piece. Thanks for reading. Cheers. Paul. 

Edited by HonorPaul
Add more information

Does the day change at midnight? Some watches, especially vintage, doesn't have a quick day setting. If it changes at midnight then try setting the time forward until the day changes, then going backward to 9 pm, then forward again and so on until the desired day.

38 minutes ago, aac58 said:

Does the day change at midnight? Some watches, especially vintage, doesn't have a quick day setting. If it changes at midnight then try setting the time forward until the day changes, then going backward to 9 pm, then forward again and so on until the desired day.

What happens, as the OP explained, is that quick setting date works, but not advance with time. So it has to be looked at again.

Just to  clarify, I wasn't aware that the day function did not work. So when I asked for a new crown and stem that is all what was replaced. I can set the day no problem but it does not advance to the next day 24 hrs later. Only the date works. 

As for the crystal, now I could be wrong here but it seems to be a press fit. And that it does not require glueing. I polished the inside so it's like new and then it pressed back into position.  I'll have to see how much it will be for the day function to be fixed. It wasn't a service as such just a replacement stem and crown. 

OK, understood now. My mistake in fact. You never said you'd had it serviced, just repaired. 40 quid for a service would be very reasonable indeed. For just replacing the stem and crown, depending on what the parts cost, a bit steep. Still, it would be worthwhile getting him to quote for a complete service including repair of the day change and a new crystal. That the watch is running is a good sign that all is basically well, but it will still benefit from a clean and fresh lubricant. Report back when you have the estimate. There are enough people on here can tell you if it's reasonable or not, and there are still enough good watchmakers around in the UK if you need an alternative.

Yes I thought it was a bit steep myself to be honest. Thanks and I'll definitely ask for Watchmaker recommendations in the future when I get the watches serviced. Here are some pics of how the watch looks now. I put a cheap strap on that I had lying around, but plan to treat the watch to a better quality strap. Starting out just looking at calf skin that lead me to crocodile straps. Wow very nice indeed. And a lot of the scratches disappearing now after many episodes of series watching and polishing at the same time. Lugs have also been straightened up as well as the inside of the crystal polished. Cheers. 

IMG_20200126_201507.jpg

IMG_20200126_200854.jpg

IMG_20200126_200654.jpg

IMG_20200126_204456.jpg

IMG_20200126_201043.jpg

IMG_20200126_201524.jpg

Edited by HonorPaul
To add another image.