Regulator not changing rate

Lc130

I think this HS completed with the wheel, dose not vibrate to the right frequency/ beat.

They are said to be incompatible. 

That can happen, if you somehow put the HS on the wrong wheel twice. 

Also, are you sure if the two movements beat the same? 

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

I think this HS completed with the wheel, dose not vibrate to the right frequency/ beat.

They are said to be incompatible. 

That can happen, if you somehow put the HS on the wrong wheel twice. 

Also, are you sure if the two movements beat the same? 

The donor movement is stamped 115/1.  Same as the other.  If I am reading this correctly, Ranfft describes all bifora 115 as 18000.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Bifora_115_1

Thank you for the help!

Charlie

Just as a reminder on modern balance wheels the hairspring is vibrated to the individual balance wheel. That's why when you look at spare parts list for modern watches the hairspring is not considered a separate component. In the days of American pocket watches the hairspring was separate but that's because they had timing screws to allow you to match the balance wheel to the hairspring.

Then if moving the regulator and it has zero effect that is because the hairspring is still touching something it's not supposed to be touching.

• Thanks 1

You are not getting the right beat. Either HS is touching something, or the balance+ HS dosn't generate the right beat.

If balance complete produces right beat in one 115/1 bifora, it also would in other 115/1 bifora movements. 

If balance complete ran right in donor movement, how come you don,t rebuild the donor.

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

You are not getting the right beat. Either HS is touching something, or the balance+ HS dosn't generate the right beat.

If balance complete produces right beat in one 115/1 bifora, it also would in other 115/1 bifora movements. 

If balance complete ran right in donor movement, how come you don,t rebuild the donor.

Touching shortens the operating length of HS, thence,  runs balance fast and amplitude decrease so high amplitudes you are seeing reasonably  dismisses"  touching " 

Good amplitude can only come about by strong impulse, which impulse can be generated by strong MS or strong drop of pallet jewel, you are seeing high amplitude at low wind. So you either got a massay ferguson MS in the barrel or pallet is positioned wrong, banks are solid and look undamaged, that makes pallets or fork  suspecious .

9 hours ago, Lc130 said:

The donor movement is stamped 115/1.  Same as the other.  If I am reading this correctly, Ranfft describes all bifora 115 as 18000.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Bifora_115_1

Thank you for the help!

Charl

Beat would be 18000 per hr with correct HS. Mount on different HS , the  balance  complete produces different beat.  Two HS off of two bifora 115/1 are of the same CGS , not neccessarily same length,  We presume the HS you have belongs to bifora 115/1 based on your say, that it looked alright on TG at first.

I have the donor HS on the original balance wheel.  It sounds like they are not compatible. 

At this point it appears that I have two options.  Fix the bends in the original HS.  I've tried and only made it worse.  The other option is to order another balance assembly.  I had previously asked which one to order in this post. Is the third line the correct part?

How about replacing the fork. 

Most anyone would ruin HS without good magnification, light and fine tweezers.

A new balance complete may finish this project with success, but in a way robs you of the chance to practice ( the route to skill) to build a balance complete, find faults, sort out a bent HS and learn. I am not getting tired since I am just talking.  Ha ha.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Charlie,   Sorry for late response. Internet, internet,  can,t even read previous posts on this thread. Was the movement running slow or fast? If slow, depending on how slow? You may have a HS compatible with the wheel, in which case,  one option is to go for vibrating the HS with the wheel.

You have successfully transffered this HS couple of times, that is all the skill vibrating requires.  

New balance complete is the last option. 

Regards joe.