New member needing Timex Indiglo advice please

HonorPaul

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and needing some advice please. I've just today purchased a Timex Easy Reader watch. Only to realise that the indiglo does not light up properly at the 6 o clock position. Is this normal or is the watch defective and should I get it replaced. Cheers

IMG_20191103_164733.jpg

IMG_20191103_170049.jpg

9 minutes ago, HonorPaul said:

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and needing some advice please. I've just today purchased a Timex Easy Reader watch. Only to realise that the indiglo does not light up properly at the 6 o clock position. Is this normal or is the watch defective and should I get it replaced. Cheers

IMG_20191103_164733.jpg

IMG_20191103_170049.jpg

IMG_20191103_170644.jpg

Yes I'll take it back. And to answer your question, I'll probably use it most of the time if I wake up during the night just to check the time. I know its only a small defect but besides the simplicity of the face the main reason for purchasing the watch was the indiglo feature. Its nitpicky but it'll irritate the heck out of me. 

Hi  The problem is that a small defect like that on a new watch may spread as according to our timex Guru the dial is coated with a compound which glows when a current is applied, so there must be a fault in the coating. I you are like me wake several times a night (insomniac) or old age I guess it is useful and yes it would annoy me too on a new watch.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HonorPaul said:

Thank you, did you have any defect with your indiglo. Ja I'm very impressed with the brightness. 

No defect at all.   Mine must be an earlier model, no date complication, movement is made in philipine cased in china.  

Thanks for the replies. I ended up taking the watch back and asked could I compare it with a couple of others. One being the same and the other, a blue faced white dial with expansion band. Loved the look of it. And decided on that one. Anyway turns out they were all the same with the straight edge either at the 12 or 6. So I guess with the casing design it's normal. Interestingly enough I found a vid on you tube, in the image you'll notice at the top edge the line at the top for the sheet shes testing for the indiglo. 

Screenshot_20191106_095042_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

IMG_20191106_103046.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• although not in this case.  It was the Lugano Convention and its deficiencies that allowed a Swiss court decision in the first place.  This isnt really a Brexit issue at all.  A decision that affects both the EU and the UK should never have been heard in Switzerland. I bet the authorised service centres in the UK are pretty pleased.  It's a massive shame, though; I believe watch owners should be able to choose to have their watch serviced by whoever they trust.
    • Hi guys I think that old hippy is correct, it opens the gates for china to manufacture aftermarket spare parts. considering that they already do work on behalf of the Swiss I guess this decision gives the a little more legitimacy to tool up and I am sure they will take advantage of the situation either with or without the blessing of the Swiss watch industry  Having read about the protectionist machinations of the Swiss in the history of Europe they were the only ones to get fat at everybody else’s expense. I think the outcome could have been guessed at but ,  fair play to Cousins UK for standing up to them.  Now the question,  will everybody boycott Swiss watches and Swatch, no way they will still fill their coffers.  Me I stick with the Japanese once renowned for cheap shitty watches who came good through industrial effort and don’t for get the Russians that most dismiss as low grade crap. Wouldn’t buy a swatch product ever how about you all.? a
    • Hold the crown when in winding position, move the click away from the crown wheel, and then while holding the crown let it slowly unwind. I recollect that you must remove the automatic device bridge first, but maybe I'm wrong. You can first try without removing the automatic device bridge.
    • nevenbekriev- You nailed it with your description of me and my reaction when the clock started ticking again. I am a newbie.  I love the sound and idea of mechanical clocks but the idea of owning one and trying to keep them running has never appealed to me. My wife bought this one and an antique German wall clock.  When I looked into having someone repair them for me, the universal response was "it's really expensive to work on them, you should just replace the movement". So, I had nothing to lose, I started researching them and opened them up. The wife is happy because she hears the sound of the clocks again. But I have gone down the "accuracy" rabbit hole. In the vertical position, the balance wheel was not floating. It was sitting on the bottom of the frame. I adjusted the lower spring collet and got it floating. It easily passed the 270 degree 3 to 5 minute oscillation test. It took 8 minutes for the wheel to completely stop moving.  I put it the unit back in the movement and checked the safety pin. It does not touch the safety roller anywhere in +/-270 degrees rotation from neutral position. But the amplitude of the rotation with the spring fully wound is weak based on what you are saying. It rotates +/-90 degrees from the neutral position.  No, I did not take the movement completely apart.  That seemed way outside my skill set at the time. There is a reason I became an electrical engineer and not a mechanical engineer. I am much more comfortable with moving electrons than tiny moving metal parts. Will I do it in the long run? Anything can happen. I don't seem to be able to let it go.