Repair Of A Carriage Clock

Vich

Thanks Al,

might take you up on it after all.  Like I said this is just a one off and I thought it would probably not be worth making the winder but wierdly, I like making things anyway, and I am curious about the plans.

Will be in touch,

Vic

I found some kerosene in the garage (garden lamp oil) and it worked a treat.  I did have to uncase the spring and will have to either wind it in to the barrel or think of an alternative, first thoughts attached.

I may have to make the winder after all if I can not get it smaller, it may be easier in the long run or of course wind it in by hand which is still an option.  In the mean time here is what I have been toying with:-

post-197-0-27196100-1422014140_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-30099700-1422014163_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-29914500-1422014178_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-67797500-1422014192_thumb.jpg

It is looking good but still about 6mm too big so some way to go. I used the cling film to stop,  transfer of grease onto the barrel cog.

The spring has been wiped with grease.  The cable ties worked great initially but it gets harder as you go on.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

Amazing solution Vick. Looking good so far! Remember, "Noli Desiste" = never quit...it's a motto I learned from Alcoholics Anonymous....sometimes it works for watches/clocks too! :D

Cheers,

Bob

Edited by bobm12

Hello Bob, trouble with jobs like this is you can't quit as it is for someone else but I suppose I am too stubborn anyway. It will get done. Thanks for the jubilee clip idea George it sounds like a winner to me. I will rummage in the garage and post the result.

Cheers,

Vic

I know Vic, just a bad joke. I'm sure this will end super. By the way, I've never tackled a clock, ever, is it really hard to fit it by hand? Too stiff/dangerous? It seems like a lot of trouble to get that spring in. I'm following all this with a lot of interest!

Cheers,

Bob

OK, I got sick of pussyfooting around and realised I had not even tried to wind it in by hand.

post-197-0-33794700-1422052066_thumb.jpg

Would you believe it, it went in relatively easily, in about 90 seconds, mind once you start you can't stop.

The first coil after locating the hole on the rivet was the hardest and then it was just a case of winding it around and pushing it in but keeping the pressure on all the way without stopping.  I learned two things. I would not be able to do this with a longer stronger spring and the gloves are essential and I had my safety glasses on as well,  I have no doubt as Clockboy and Al intimated, that these springs are a tad different from watches and can do some serious damage.  You could not do it with a leather glove on both hands so the plastic glove was a good call, you can "feel" when it is tight enough to push the tensioned coil into the barrel.  Looks well centralised and not too much grease just a light covering.

The arbour locates well in the centre coil.

Time to ultrasonic the rest and put it all together.

Howay the Lads,

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 2

Well done Vic thank goodness it is safely in the barrel , i was getting nervous for you with it in those cable ties , there is a lot of power being harnessed by those plastic ties , even letting a spring down on ironically the very same clock you are doing nearly resulted in me breaking a finger , great idea though , like the sound of the jubilee clip to , good luck with the rebuild , watching with interest.

cheers

Andy

Well the prep is just about finished, I put the spring back in between the plates to clean like I would have if it was a watch.

post-197-0-96100000-1422200157_thumb.jpg

Also cleaned all the other pieces

post-197-0-06265400-1422200265_thumb.jpg

Drying time and pegwood on the pivot holes just to make certain.

post-197-0-94693200-1422200337_thumb.jpg

This is the screw with a jewel inside (one of two) that go to each end of what I would call a balance staff on a watch.  Holds the staff, wheel and spring in place.

post-197-0-41686800-1422200753_thumb.jpg

Ok thats about all I have polywatched the acrylic lightly (pic is before) then gave it a short burst in the ultrasonic cleaner and it has come up a treat.  There are a few marks on it but I don't think I will try for absolute perfection, it is all clean and shiny and the marks left are only indicative of the age.

post-197-0-53495400-1422200787_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-33576700-1422201120_thumb.jpg

Right I am off upstairs to try to put it together.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the backplate is on and the train works right up to the escapement then the clock stalls. I am going to have a look at the pins in case I have bent one of them, it is not immediately obvious and I don't know how or when but I don't know what else to look for. The wheel swings back and forth freely so that's my rational for it stopping. Any suggestions will be gratefully received and investigated. At least I know that the spring is working !

Cheers,

Vic

When you say it stalls do you mean that everything seems Ok but then it locks up. i.e. the wheels free wheel but then it will not turn because something is jamming. If so it is highly likely one of the escape pins is bent too deep into the escape wheel, if so be very careful when straightening they can snap.

Hello clockboy,

I think that may be the case and I will try to be careful as the pins look really thin.  Donald de Carle explains how to use a needle or a pin to replace one and I really don't want to go there.

Cheers,

Vic

Vic, Another thought!!!!

If it is running for a while but just stops then it,s just a balance issue. If so get it running & tilt the clock to one side and see if it improves or gets worse & then try tilting the other side, the side tilted that makes it run is the side the pins need to go too .I have not worked on this style of clock but many the anchor (that has the pins attached) is on a friction fit shaft and will twist around its pinion to get this balance.

Edited by clockboy

Vic, YET ANOTHER THOUGHT,

Before any adjustment make sure the clock is absolutely square use a spirit level. Many clocks have adjustable feet if not get it square then you have a reliable starting point. Normally if it runs but stops after a while you are nearly there to the eureka moment.

Edited by clockboy

Hello Clockboy,

Whwn I said it stalls what I meant was that without  the escapement attached all of the train runs beautifully. Put the escapement in and the balance wheel does not move on its own and if I gently push it it goes for a few turns then stops.  The carriage clock does not appear to have adjustable feet for leveling but I take your point and will check that.  The anchor seems to be free running. will check it out.

Thanks,

Vic

Hi Vic, have you tried adjusting the balance jewel holders to get a bit of end shake? Also is it possible to adjust the balance wheel position between the plates with these, or do you just screw them in tight either side without adjustment? I was just thinking that if there was adjustment and it wasn't correct, the escapement mighty be rubbing slightly when the lever engages the balance jewel.

Just a thought.

Hello George,

You are correct about the adjustment for end shake but only on one side. The side with the Regulator on has to be screwed in snug but the other side is adjustable so I can provide some end shake but can not really alter the wheel position.  I am going to remove the anchor and pinion assembly to have a look as my mind keeps going back there. 

Unfortunately the boiler has gone off yesterday and we are awaiting the repair man.  I am pretty sure the diverter valve has gone but there is a slight possibility it is the pump, I have checked and there is nothing frozen outside as I have run my condensate pipe beside the output from the shower and we still get hot water - hey ho.  Living room is the only semi warm place in the house as we have  a DGF so I will not be going into the work room until its fixed and I can feel the ends of my fingers..

Cheers,

Vic