Just pinged one of the cap jewels and I feel devastated

VWatchie

I’ve just pinged the jewel housing cap jewel for the lower balance shock block of my ETA 2772 and I’m absolutely devastated, especially as this a movement adjusted in six positions having a glycodur balance wheel and all (my first). The movement is in excellent condition and I won the watch on an eBay-like auction for a mere $60. CousinsUK doesn’t seem to have any spare parts for this movement (or the similar 2770 and 2782). I could kill myself for being so sloppy. :(

Anyone who can help me out or give me some advice on how to proceed?

Edited by VWatchie
  • Sad 1

Get a strong torch and search when it's dark; if you are really lucky you may see some flicker. Did you check your hair, your eyebrows, your nose (look in the mirror !), inside your sleeves / shirt etc ? Best is to leave your clothes on the spot. When start walking through the house, you have no idea anymore. Check your shoe soles !! Of course if you have your desk on a carpet floor, than you are done and the lesson to be learned is to move your desk to a room with a smooth seamless floor.

If the floor is smooth, and as last resort, get a new & empty bag in your vacuum cleaner and vacuum the whole floor without using a brush. Cut the bag carefully open after you are done. I once found a tiny, very tiny screw of a 17mm ladies ETA2450 back using the vacuum cleaner trick.

Suc6 .......

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 2

I know how you feel after stripping down a Seiko movement for the fifth time and now on my sixth with a bit more success.

Keep the faith you will either find it or find a replacement.

Do you have a part number I could ask my trusted Watchmaker if he can supply the part, maybe a picture also could help.

A long shot but never hurts to ask.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Endeavor said:

Get a strong torch and search when it's dark; if you are really lucky you may see some flicker. Did you check your hair, your eyebrows, your nose (look in the mirror !), inside your sleeves / shirt etc ? Best is to leave your clothes on the spot. When start walking through the house, you have no idea anymore. Check your shoe soles !! Of course if you have your desk on a carpet floor, than you are done and the lesson to be learned is to move your desk to a room with a smooth seamless floor.

If the floor is smooth, and as last resort, get a new & empty bag in your vacuum cleaner and vacuum the whole floor without using a brush. Cut the bag carefully open after you are done. I once found a tiny, very tiny screw of a 17mm ladies ETA2450 back using the vacuum cleaner trick.

Suc6 .......

Thanks for all advice Endeavor, much appreciated and it will come handy in the future! However this time it won't help. The thing is, I didn't actually ping it, but was too embarrassed to tell you the truth. My conclusion is that it was in my cleaning glass jar when I washed out the the glass jar (way too painful to write about this in more detail), so it's on its way into the belly of a fish or so...

Good thing I wasn't holding a gun in my hand when I realized my mistake... :thumbsd: A spare part is my only salvation...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheFixer said:

I know how you feel after stripping down a Seiko movement for the fifth time and now on my sixth with a bit more success.

Keep the faith you will either find it or find a replacement.

Do you have a part number I could ask my trusted Watchmaker if he can supply the part, maybe a picture also could help.

A long shot but never hurts to ask.

Well, if you can help me out with this I'll be forever grateful! I downloaded the parts list for this movement from CousinsUK but can't find any references to the balance jewels whatsoever. Here are a couple of pictures from the disassembly of this particular movement (ETA 2772).

image.png.7cf83601a361e33074d70a0565143d8a.png

image.png.d8db87fcfa68ae83b7064df1ec017b6d.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

Well, if you can help me out with this I'll be forever grateful! I downloaded the parts list for this movement from CousinsUK but can't find any references to the balance jewels whatsoever. Here are a couple of pictures from the disassembly of this particular movement (ETA 2772).

image.png.7cf83601a361e33074d70a0565143d8a.png

image.png.d8db87fcfa68ae83b7064df1ec017b6d.png

I will happily do my best for you.

Will make contact with my Watchmaker friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

As far as I know calibres 2770 and 2782...

No big deal. There are like eight or so variants in the family, all ETA incabs, aren,t  end stones interchangable?   Help to know, before I get lost in my not so inventorized bag.

Best

If all you lost was the cap jewel and still have the chaton and hole jewel it's not the end of the world. A generic cap jewel with right diameter and thickness would work.  Chances are you would find one that fits from assorted cap jewel sets if you don't already have scrap movements lying around that may have fitting cap jewels. 

You can start pulling your hair out if you lose the chaton/hole jewel though so definately be a lot more careful with those.

Edited by CaptCalvin
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

Thanks for all advice Endeavor, much appreciated and it will come handy in the future! However this time it won't help. The thing is, I didn't actually ping it, but was too embarrassed to tell you the truth. My conclusion is that it was in my cleaning glass jar when I washed out the the glass jar (way too painful to write about this in more detail), so it's on its way into the belly of a fish or so...

Good thing I wasn't holding a gun in my hand when I realized my mistake... :thumbsd: A spare part is my only salvation...

Cheer up, a mistake you do only once :startle:

There is a very small probability that it sits / lays in the swan-neck of the drain ?? You can check, and if not, the drain needed a clean anyway :biggrin:

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Marc said:

Check out the link below.

It gives all the applicable interchangeable movements and all the individual part numbers.

Order by Inca part No. from Cousins.

eta.gif

So  the ones in the family are?   Interchangable? 

33 minutes ago, Marc said:

Check out the link below.

It gives all the applicable interchangeable movements and all the individual part numbers.

Order by Inca part No. from Cousins.

eta.gif

Thanks! You say I should check out the "link". I suppose you mean the embedded picture or did you forget about the link? I just want to make sure I don't miss out on something!

4 minutes ago, Endeavor said:

Cheer up, a mistake you do only once :startle:

Thanks I will but I'm afraid this is the second time I've made this kind of mistake. Can we change it to: "a mistake you do only twice"? :lol:

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

Thanks! You say I should check out the "link". I suppose you mean the embedded picture or did you forget about the link? I just want to make sure I don't miss out on something!

The embedded picture is actually a link. If you click on it it takes you to the web page which is much easier to read.

12 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

So  the ones in the family are?   Interchangable? 

Check the left hand "Base Caliber" column for 2776. Move across to the third "Caliber Derivatives" column and it lists all of the derived ETA calibers that use the same part.

Then move across the columns to the right for the individual part numbers for the bloc, chaton, pivot jewel, cap jewel, and spring, for both upper and lower settings. Order the parts you need by Inca part number.

Check out

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=X\ZDXITL

and you will find a whole load of other calibers that use the same part.

Edited by Marc
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Endeavor said:

Hope you had some sleep !?

After the dust has settled perhaps, if you feel like it, we can compare working procedures? Perhaps we can learn from each other?

You have my email address in case you like to do so .....

I didn't sleep too well actually. Well, I have a cold as well so that didn't help too much :( Anyway, good idea, I'll get back to you once I've recovered... ;)

It looks like my very good Swedish compatriot @rogart63 might be able to help me out (he has come to my rescue before). Anyway, I'll keep you updated on the progress.

A big thanks to all of you for your compassion and willingness to help me out! Invaluable! :wub:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

I didn't sleep too well actually. Well, I have a cold as well so that didn't help too much :( Anyway, good idea, I'll get back to you once I've recovered... ;)

It looks like my very good Swedish compatriot @rogart63 might be able to help me out (he has come to my rescue before). Anyway, I'll keep you updated on the progress.

A big thanks to all of you for your compassion and willingness to help me out! Invaluable! :wub:

My friend has offered to send you one Gratis, just need your details.

PM me if you still need one.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, @Marc!

That table which you linked to is potentially very useful but I’m having serious trouble understanding the French headlines. Perhaps those of us interested can “decode” it together? For every column with a parenthesis and a question mark I don’t feel sure at all and need your additional info!

• Column 1: Calibres de base = Base calibre
  • Column 2: Grandeur = Ligne size
  • Column 3: Calibres dérivés = Derived calibres
  • Column 4: Ø trou = Hole diameter (I guess, but what hole?)
  • Column 5: Bloc dessus = Upper shock block (for the balance cock? I’m just guessing)
  • Column 6: Bloc dessous = Lower shock block (in the main plate? I’m just guessing)
  • Column 7: Creusure plat. = Recess ??? (I have no idea!?)
  • Column 8: Creusure cad. = Recess ??? (I have no idea!?)
  • Column 9: Clavette = (I have no idea!?)
  • Column 10: Vis = (Means “screw” in French but again, I have no idea?)
  • Column 11: Chaton empierré = (Google translates this to “stoned kitten”. Jewel housing, no?)
  • Column 12: Pirre de dessus = (Google translates this to “Stone from above”. Could it be the balance cap jewel on the balance cock side?)
  • Column 13: c. pivot dessous = (Something a about "Pivot underneath". Could it be the balance cap jewel on the main plate side?)
  • Column 14: Ressort de dessus = (I guess this could be the anti-shock spring for the shock block in the balance bridge?)
  • Column 15: c. pivot dessous = (Well, if the previous is an anti-shock spring then this would be the anti-shock spring for the shock block in main plate?)

Men's Ladies T SHIRT funny CAT stoned dope weed marijuana image 0
A French Chaton empierré!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2