Sign in to follow this  
anilv

Longines Cal.12 from the flea-market

Got this beat up Longings at a flea market about two weeks ago.  

Dial is thrashed but hands can be saved. 

IMG_20191026_104524.thumb.jpg.3fcb9c2dcac203c038c21c2fcab078bd.jpg

Its a Cal.12 which is a nice movement and the balance swung smoothly. When I got it back home I wound the mainspring with the screw on the ratchet wheel and it started ticking.. Sluggish but it bodes well for this project! Apart from a missing case screw everything looks good so far! Mainspring was wound down (no power)  when I got it and the regulator is in the middle so I bet is was a nice runner until a missing crown led to it being put away. 

IMG20191026104117.thumb.jpg.c3c900bd5a97ff024b1f2996d938c5d0.jpg

Crown tube is pretty mashed up but at least the stem is there (a plus point!) ,  and the case has a lot of scars. 

IMG20191026104207.thumb.jpg.491698bcc75355d48643663c33a8a17b.jpg

It has solid springbars but it looks like they were added on later,  it a pretty untidy job and one lug in particular looks a bit weak As it's only the solder holding it in. It's normal to see damaged lugs on base metal cases but this is a Stainless Steel case. IMG_20191026_121041.thumb.jpg.31300572f618a7488028bbd04152449d.jpg

Nice engraving on the inner case back. 

IMG20191026104137.thumb.jpg.0fc8f765c0d806333094505eb6dd10b8.jpg

I'll probably clean and oil it and fit a new crown and crystal. I should be able to 'massage' the hands back to shape but the dial will probably stay as it is. 

Will post up pics as I get along but this is not an urgent job as I have a few others waiting in line. 

Anilv 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this