spade drill bit set

luiazazrambo

Don't know about the origins, but that's old school stuff there (at least whoever was using it was old school). Those arbors would hold the drill, the pointy side would fit in a divot on the side of a bench vice, and the plate or whatever held against the drill while the arbor was driven by a bow. Lot of crazy work was done with that crazy setup.

• Like 1

Hi  Back in time the British Army R.E.M.E. repaired a lot of army instruments them selves, nothing being out sourced. They had their own Watch repair department which was fully equiped with all the tools. I was once priviledged to enter one of these workshops on a work visit and chat to the men, they repaired all small instruments including compasses. The arrow mark is indeed M.O.D.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  Back in time the British Army R.E.M.E. repaired a lot of army instruments them selves, nothing being out sourced. They had their own Watch repair department which was fully equiped with all the tools. I was once priviledged to enter one of these workshops on a work visit and chat to the men, they repaired all small instruments including compasses. The arrow mark is indeed M.O.D.

Where was this workshop and when did you visit them? Is it possible to do such a visit still?

• Confused 1

Hi    The workshop in question was at York R.E.M.E strensall where I visited to repair computer equiptment in their workshop so got to know some of the men. most were apprentice trained by the Army then.  The workshops were all closed down about 20 years ago when the Britsh Army were leaving Germany.  I visited them as well before the shut down Moenchengladbach was a small military vehicle workshop,  Willich was a REME engineering workshop and Wetter on the rhur was a heavy tank refurbishment work shop sadly all closed. there still are centralised workshops in the UK but only civilian contractors are allowed in on legitimate business. There are no casual visitors allowed at all.  They are guarded by the MOD Police on the gatehouse .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyHull said:

I wonder how those drill bits managed to be "liberated" from the MOD in the first place.

I have an identical set. They came to me in a job lot from the estate sale of an old watchmaker who apparently was trained by the army prior to his being demobbed after the war so that he had a trade to go into. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luiazazrambo said:

I like both the practicing and the tower. I heard they used to mint silver and gold coins there. :)

They also used to perform complete cranial amputation. On the plus side, they do store a lot of very expensive baubles there too, so if you can tunnel your way from your cell to the strong room, you might be able to make off with a bling-tastik hat or two. :P

Hi  The tower as well as cranial amputations had an intersting side line in bodily investigations, Thumb screws, hot irons (not for pressing clothes), removal of fingernails  A Tudor manicure No anesthetic not to mention dentistry. A good supply of rats was available for company. So entering MOD property uninvited has its problems.