adjusting lower jewel

AP1875

I need to adjust the main plate lower jewel, move it down slightly. Would i use a staking set to accomplish this?

If so, i will purchase one. Is there anything i should look for in a set? Looks like another rabbit hole, lots of different options and parts you can buy..

I need to adjust the main plate lower jewel, move it down slightly. Would i use a staking set to accomplish this?
If so, i will purchase one. Is there anything i should look for in a set? Looks like another rabbit hole, lots of different options and parts you can buy..

Is this on a pocket watch? Is the jewel friction fit? Need some photos. I would use a seitz jeweling set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi,

it is an automatic movement, Chinese. I would also like to practice removing the jewels on automatic movements and replacing them with new. i have an eta 2824, 2892 and 7750.I'm just curious, something i want to learn. I don't really come across pocket watches, just the modern automatics (if that makes a difference?). Any advice appreciated.

Hi,
it is an automatic movement, Chinese. I would also like to practice removing the jewels on automatic movements and replacing them with new. i have an eta 2824, 2892 and 7750.I'm just curious, something i want to learn. I don't really come across pocket watches, just the modern automatics (if that makes a difference?). Any advice appreciated.

I have a lot of videos on YouTube addressing watch repair, and I think one of replacing jewels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes staking set is possible. Usually easier when the jewel is flat with the plate. It it is inset then you have no way of controlling play. I pressed out a broken jewel on an omega chronograph plate and replaced it with a random identical jewel from a Russian movement. It was flat with the mainplate so a larger staking tool with a flat bottom did fine. I did cross my fingers when I did it. 

Seitz tool ideal. Much more expensive (staking set cost me $70) 

Just a question, did you discover a problem which requires lowering the jewel? This is only a problem to correct endshake and interaction with other wheels must be considered as well.

If its just correcting a loose jewel thats fine but if not then I would sit back and re-assess.

Anilv

7 hours ago, anilv said:

Just a question, did you discover a problem which requires lowering the jewel? This is only a problem to correct endshake and interaction with other wheels must be considered as well.

If its just correcting a loose jewel thats fine but if not then I would sit back and re-assess.

Anilv

Yes it is to correct endshake. 

So I made an impulse buy, a K&D inverto. I read these are good tools so just purchased it. It arrived today and it looks like it was a bad idea (surprise surprise). 

The thread that at the top of the tool is completely bent. Is this going to cause me problems? I have 30 days to return it. I haven't had a chance to examine all of the other items yet... 

20191024_165200.jpg

15719331186413971414841012531961.jpg

39 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Looks so shiny and new AP. Are punches as new?  

They came in separate packaging, there's quite a few. I thought I'd leave them wrapped until I have some time to examine them. I literally opened the box and saw the bent stud and did a big sigh.... 

These are considered a good staking set because you can get a jewelling lever attachment making them a jewelling tool as well, I assume that the bent screw is for part of the lever assembly for the jewelling tool but stand to be corrected as my own staking tool is a simpler item. 

For staking, as long as the plate is flat and can be centred and locked and the stake can be inserted and drop straight it should be good. If someone with a k&d can advise on the threaded bar you might be OK and then keep an eye out for a jewelling set. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, m1ks said:

These are considered a good staking set because you can get a jewelling lever attachment making them a jewelling tool as well, I assume that the bent screw is for part of the lever assembly for the jewelling tool but stand to be corrected as my own staking tool is a simpler item. 

For staking, as long as the plate is flat and can be centred and locked and the stake can be inserted and drop straight it should be good. If someone with a k&d can advise on the threaded bar you might be OK and then keep an eye out for a jewelling set. 

Thank you for your advice. I will wait for the opinion of others. It would be great if I could use it as a jewling tool as well. Hopefully It can be saved.... 

I place a plastic sheet on the jewel and press on it,  be it with steel punch or wooden.

Avoid hitting, just press. Any caution, not to damage the jewel.  

The jewel may jump out of it's  hole, reinsert from inside of  ebauche. 

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

I place a plastic sheet on the jewel and press on it,  be it with steel punch or wooden.

Avoid hitting, just press. Any caution, not to damage the jewel.  

The jewel may jump out of it's  hole, reinsert from inside of  ebauche. 

Which tool do you use?

I use the tube section of a bad crown to press on the outer rim of the jewel housing, pushing it a bit ( inward in ebauche) , next use a wooden stick pressing to push the housing outward of the ebauche( May take three  tries to get to acceptable move of the stone) Same approach for embeded jewels in bridges and mainplate.

Having done this to adjust end shake on nearly all arbors for so long, I have got good at it, will probably break jewels if I tried with dedicated tools.

Since you have already bought a staking set, I recommend using stakiing set, staying  with one tool, you,ll  master it sooner or later. 

I have planned to device a tool out of bracelete pin remover, for its micrometer action, lazy though.

Going back to the above, I believe this is the attachment that will fit your tool though reading Nucejoes comment it may be that you can manage without?
This is a US ebay link but you should be able to find similar if you're not in the US, it was the first quick search link I could find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/K-D-Jeweling-Tool-Attachment-Watchmaking-Watchmakers-tool-Staking-sets/123885373754?hash=item1cd824c93a:g:eFgAAOSwMG1dYWs3