Is this hairspring bent?

Lc130

Hi All

I'm a beginner.  Below are some pics of an Orient H9 hairspring.  It appears lopsided to me but I'm not sure.  The amplitude is about 180.

I've also asked questions about this movement here .  Thank you for any help

IMG_3941.thumb.JPG.d32a49928287cd5c9c7bbf9ee2e994be.JPGIMG_3942.thumb.JPG.7e69841b71120a7452a53e772f1d3b9c.JPGIMG_3944.thumb.JPG.b2ffd60a85b066dbf09cf43f1d916ff5.JPG

It's out of center, check pic for adjustment. The spring should be centered in the regulator when you're done, if it's not, push it right next to the stud to make it centered. The pins (pin and boot) should have a gap of about 1 hairspring thickness, and it should bounce from one to the other evenly when running.

hairpsring retouch.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Look at the spring position BETWEEN the regulator pins.  If its central to both pins, I vote to leave it alone.  The old guys (Fried and De Carle) often suggested using a slight bend in the hairspring  to centralize the spring position between regulator pins.  It does appear to be a little eccentric.

At any rate, I doubt your slight kink would be a reason for low amplitude.

Good luck,

RMD

Edited by rduckwor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Is it level ?     

We need a clear picture looking in sideways at the hairspring and balance wheel in the watch.

Then yes technically her out a center but it's minimal it shouldn't be the cause of amplitude problems. They hairspring not flat would be a cause of problems especially when it's touching something.

Can we get timing machine results? And that includes the graphical display with the numbers.

• Thanks 1

It's hard to get a focused side shot.  It looks level to me.  Though, the focusing may make it appear otherwise.  

I won't have time to work on this again until later next week.  I have a microscope coming and hoping it will help.  

Thank you all.

IMG_3945.thumb.JPG.a04788d3f873214ee43cfa296f9e7085.JPGd side shot, below.  Looks flat to me.

• Like 1

It looks pretty good to me (Said the idiot that totally trashed a hairspring doing a VERY SIMPLE JOB yesterday).

My suggestion would be to look elsewhere for the low amplitude issues BEFORE you even consider touching the HS.    Mainspring, train freedom, dirt, pivots, etc.  HS work is difficult at best.

Good Luck,

RMD

17 hours ago, Lc130 said:

It's hard to get a focused side shot.  It looks level to me.  Though, the focusing may make it appear otherwise.  

I won't have time to work on this again until later next week.  I have a microscope coming and hoping it will help.  

Thank you all.

d side shot, below.  Looks flat to me.

There is one itsy-bitsy problem with the picture though? It appears to be the balance wheel isn't in the watch?

Yes I know when it's in the watch it's really really hard to see it's easier to see if it's out of the watch but if it's rubbing touching bumping and causing an issue that is usually in the watch not when it's out of the watch. So the problem occurs in the watch that is where you need to look at it. Out of the watch the balance wheel is not in its alignment with both pivots it usually can lean a little bit. So ideally when you're looking at a problem like this you should be looking at it in the watch for the most part.

• Like 1