WWW Eterna sucked me in.

luiazazrambo

2 hours ago, luiazazrambo said:

Daylight pictures, well a bit cloudy but some natural light.

IMG_20231104_143325.jpg

IMG_20231104_143352.jpg

IMG_20231104_143407.jpg

2 hours ago, luiazazrambo said:

Daylight pictures, well a bit cloudy but some natural light.

IMG_20231104_143325.jpg

IMG_20231104_143352.jpg

IMG_20231104_143407.jpg

Cool makeshift set up buddy 👍. I think your filing rest is at the wrong end though 😉.  I love the bench and the lighting .

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 4:47 PM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Cool makeshift set up buddy 👍. I think your filing rest is at the wrong end though 😉.  I love the bench and the lighting .

The file rest was not needed this time. Only reason is there because just like with the lathe I had to take it apart into pieces, clean it bit by bit, lubricate it and putting it back together, in one of my lunch time I quickly put everything I cleaned together, its a very fresh setup had no time to play with it much. The file rest came with the lathe, but I got no T-rest or collets so I had to borrow them from another 8 mm Lorch lathe, the one which seems to be a dead end project. A slide rest also came with the lathe, but had no time to clean it yet. However I spent some time to clean and restore a very nice book shelf so the books which were just piled up in my room on the floor finally got a nice place to be:

IMG_20230925_112437_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230924_153331_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, luiazazrambo said:

The file rest was not needed this time. Only reason is there because just like with the lathe I had to take it apart into pieces, clean it bit by bit, lubricate it and putting it back together, in one of my lunch time I quickly put everything I cleaned together, its a very fresh setup had no time to play with it much. The file rest came with the lathe, but I got no T-rest or collets so I had to borrow them from another 8 mm Lorch lathe, the one which seems to be a dead end project. A slide rest also came with the lathe, but had no time to clean it yet. However I spent some time to clean and restore a very nice book shelf so the books which were just piled up in my room on the floor finally got a nice place to be:

IMG_20230925_112437_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230924_153331_HDR.jpg

Very nice, i can see you like your woodworking projects as well 👍

4 minutes ago, luiazazrambo said:

but its not decided if I am going to be a carpenter or a watchmaker yet.

I used to do woodworking, but gave it up. I was using a chop saw to cut some rough lumber and (unknown to me) someone had driven a nail into one of the bits of wood I was cutting. The saw blade snatched on the nail hidden in the middle of the wood and flung it back at me, after it ricocheted off the back guide of the saw and bending it, I escaped with 3 broken bones in my hand and was lucky. I tried to go back to it, but couldn't shake the fear that it could happen again or worse, spoiling the whole hobby for me. Watchmaking is much less stressful, until I persuade Mrs W to let me buy a lathe I suppose!

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, luiazazrambo said:

I am thinking about stepping up from IT, but its not decided if I am going to be a carpenter or a watchmaker yet. 😎

Like watch repair, carpentry is very rewarding, I've been a joiner professionally for nearly 40 years now  and still enjoy it. The tools are as numerous as watchmaking, actually more so if you can believe it 😆. Like watch and clockmaking the scale of a project has its extremes. 

10 minutes ago, Waggy said:

I used to do woodworking, but gave it up. I was using a chop saw to cut some rough lumber and (unknown to me) someone had driven a nail into one of the bits of wood I was cutting. The saw blade snatched on the nail hidden in the middle of the wood and flung it back at me, after it ricocheted off the back guide of the saw and bending it, I escaped with 3 broken bones in my hand and was lucky. I tried to go back to it, but couldn't shake the fear that it could happen again or worse, spoiling the whole hobby for me. Watchmaking is much less stressful, until I persuade Mrs W to let me buy a lathe I suppose!

Been there matey but always escaped unharmed, you are lucky and could have lost fingers. When a chopsaw saw kicks back for whatever reason there is no knowing where its going to jump to or how you will react, but i can guarantee you wont be fast enough, the only player in that game is pure luck. 

19 minutes ago, Waggy said:

Technically it was a mitre saw

I have an evolution mitre saw with a blade which is eating through nails like butter. The wood I work with is coming from pallets and crates most of the time, and both are full with nails, many times they are re-used/ recycled so not just one set of nails but two, one set mostly hidden. Of course I remove the nails if I see them/find them.

31 minutes ago, Waggy said:

The Watchmaker's and Model Engineer's Lathe: A User's Manual book tells you that for heavier clock work you will need a motor with 200 Watts so it should not be able to cause serious troubles but you still could be unlucky i guess. If soft tissues like eyes hit by a sharp object etc etc. Talking about lathes I found something last night in an old book, glass lathe:

glass_lathe.thumb.jpg.da676dd70b27efbf9cce22c761809032.jpg

Cool, huhh? 🙂

Edited by luiazazrambo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, luiazazrambo said:

I have an evolution mitre saw with a blade which is eating through nails like butter. The wood I work with is coming from pallets and crates most of the time, and both are full with nails, many times they are re-used/ recycled so not just one set of nails but two, one set mostly hidden. Of course I remove the nails if I see

The Evolution wood and nail blades are great, they do them for rip saws as well. They have zero hook on the teeth which makes they safer when working with hard  materials. Probably why waggy got into trouble a high positive hooked tooth would drag any material in hard for fast cuts on soft stock. Very lucky man Waggy, you were nearly with a couple of digits less to wag 😅

8 hours ago, luiazazrambo said:

I have an evolution mitre saw with a blade which is eating through nails like butter. The wood I work with is coming from pallets and crates most of the time, and both are full with nails, many times they are re-used/ recycled so not just one set of nails but two, one set mostly hidden. Of course I remove the nails if I see them/find them.

The Watchmaker's and Model Engineer's Lathe: A User's Manual book tells you that for heavier clock work you will need a motor with 200 Watts so it should not be able to cause serious troubles but you still could be unlucky i guess. If soft tissues like eyes hit by a sharp object etc etc. Talking about lathes I found something last night in an old book, glass lathe:

glass_lathe.thumb.jpg.da676dd70b27efbf9cce22c761809032.jpg

Cool, huhh? 🙂

Ahha just the thing I'm looking for, somewhere in a watch book i have is a made up device of 2 wooden domed cups for clamping a watch glass.

13 minutes ago, luiazazrambo said:

Another small project finished. Received this movement holder a while ago, its plastic base was broken (not visible on the pic) so I replaced with a wooden one. Not perfect but good enough for the first go.

IMG_20231106_154116.jpg

IMG_20231106_154047.jpg

Nice bit of turning there rambo ( haha my nickname when i started work  nearly 40 years ago ). Dont know if you use it but Peg. Polyethanol glycol , used to stabilise wood blanks for turning. I used to then dry them out in a microwave when the missus was out 😅

• Haha 1

I received a shipment of books today, checked one of them online and turned out it can be downloaded without restrictions: https://wellcomecollection.org/works/j3jqsphj "A history of watches and other timekekeepers / by James Francis Kendal." Enjoy! 🙂

Edited by luiazazrambo
  • Like 4

This made me smile, a quote from: R.W.Symonds - Thomas Tompion his life and work

"It should be understood that Elizabethan clocks, both weight- and spring-driven, were exceedingly poor timekeepers: they were so erratic that they needed to be corrected daily by the sundial; and watches were even less reliable. In these days of Elizabeth and James I, a watch was a costly article, and generally speaking more expensive than clock. Owing to its small size greater skill was required in its making. It was usually set in an elaborate case, either in silver, gold, or fire-gilded brass, and pierced, engraved or chased. Cases of crystal, studded with jewels, or enamelled, were also used. The high cost of watch confined its ownership to the wealthy members of Elizabethan society.
 The following story of a watch owned by the mathematician and philosopher, Thomas Allen (1542-1632), illustrates how little acquainted with watches were the ordinary English folk of those days.

He was generally acquainted, end every long vacation, he rode into the countrey to visitt his old acquaintance and patrones, to whom his great learning, mixt with much sweetnes and humour, rendered him very welcome. One time being at Hom Lacy in Herefordshire, at Mr. John Scudamore's (grandfather to the lord Scudamore). he happened to leave his watch in the chamber window-(watches were rarities)- The maydes came in to make the bed, and hearing a thing in a case cry Tick, Tick, Tick, presently concluded that that was his Devill, and tooke it by the string with the tongues, and threw it out of the windowe into the mote (to drowne the Devill.) It so happened that the string hung on a spring of an elder that grew out of the mote, and this confirmed them that 'twas the Devill. So the good old gentleman gott his watch again."

Edited by luiazazrambo
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, AndyHull said:

You seem to have access to much better toy shops than I do. 🤔

They do not fit into the 404 club. So it depends how you look at them. With these I reached a limit I cannot cross ( I hope I wont cross ), unless I sell some stuff.

Most of the really interesting places that you used to see this sort of "toy" in, have sadly closed.

There were a number of clock and watch repair enterprises who's windows I used to press my nose against when I was a child.

Speaking of toys and toy shops, there were also a number of model and toy shops in the Glasgow of my youth.

image.png.f22151b086a0ae0f7886b6d118889eea.png

Arguably the most famous was the "Clyde model dockyard". 

Here is an example of the sort of "toy" that it used to sell.

https://antiquetoyslibrary.com/toys/clyde-model-dockyard-engine-depot-side-wheel-river-boat-engine/

image.png.e972802e00e8fba1554cc928e810e808.png

This was such an interesting enterprise, that it inspired many a budding young engineer to take up tinkering with all things mechanical and electrical.

If you are in Glasgow, take a trip to the Transport Museum, (allow a full day, there is a huge amount to see). It was such a well know place, that they have a static exhibit of the Clyde Model Dockyard shop.

While you are in Scotland, never mind Edinburgh castle and the "Royal Mile", everybody goes there, take a trip instead to the Museum of Childhood and the National Museum of Scotland.

There are some great toys in the former, and some spectacular Victorian engineering models in the latter and, of course,  my favourite clock (and a few others).

IMG_20221004_160634.thumb.jpg.24b773e7b20db7b225cd523b0b6c388e.jpg

https://www.nms.ac.uk/exhibitions-events/past-exhibitions/the-luxury-of-time/

image.png.1ffe79a342855055908aea8e35ed9728.png

Also worth a look is the "Camera Obscura"

@luiazazrambo What are your plans for those new toys?

What do they do, and are they complete and functional?

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, AndyHull said:

What are your plans for those new toys?

What do they do, and are they complete and functional?

Not sure Andy, they seem to be in an excellent condition. They look like they were just used yesterday, the topping tool even have a pile of brass shavings so it seems someone was using it, not sure who and when. I do not have any practical experience with them, I buy them because I love them. In my dream I have a watch- or clockmaker workshop where I service watches or clocks, and by service I mainly mean that I would serve coffee and talk about watches and play with them instead of doing difficult time consuming work. 🙂 Unfortunately I do not have the funds and the time now, but these pieces could serve decoration purposes just like the cash register I earlier bought for my non existent workshop. 🙂

Thanks for the links and info you provided, a few years earlier we visited Scotland every year, still thinking about moving to Scotland, so checking properties in Scotland is a regular activity we do. 

My first attempt to make a whirligig - might end up as a whirliwatch. 🙂 Leafs are made from firewood not pallets this time. 

IMG_20240106_150820.jpg

IMG_20240106_150804.jpg

IMG_20240106_150756.jpg

IMG_20240106_150741.jpg

Edited by luiazazrambo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...