WWW Eterna sucked me in.

luiazazrambo

I took apart my little Meister Anker ladies 17 jewels watch hoping that I could figure out the caliber, but found no markings at all anywhere (apart from "17 jewels"). I found a little spacer under the balance cock though. I only saw that in Russian movements so far.

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

I tried to copy my favorite oil holder Made in Japan (the one with the black color), I kind of managed to do so, but I made mistakes with both copies, because I dont know how to use the lathe and the tools came with it properly. So I am not entirely happy, additionally the lathe belt snapped and I just had no patience and strength to make another one or glue this one together again tonight. I am going to make another type of holder and the caps for all of them, hopefully some time soon.

Ohh and of course this is 100% pallet wood (see the nail hole?), and converted brass bolts as oil cups from the skip.

IMG_20220207_213130_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220207_213008_1_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220207_212828_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220207_212757_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220207_212742_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220207_212715_HDR.jpg

Edited by luiazazrambo

On 2/8/2022 at 9:45 PM, luiazazrambo said:

could not make the exact copy, shape a bit different also taller a bit than the original.

You would need a copying attachment for that, which is very common in woodwork lathes. But I guess making the same part becomes boring very quickly. Good work really. 

On 2/10/2022 at 5:08 AM, jdm said:

You would need a copying attachment for that, which is very common in woodwork lathes. But I guess making the same part becomes boring very quickly. Good work really. 

Yes I watched several videos about different techniques as how to replicate/copy a workpiece.

One way would be like this:

but there ore other ways. You have to find a way what fits for you. Money, time etc.

45 minutes ago, luiazazrambo said:

You have to find a way what fits for you. Money, time etc.

Watchmaking, clockmaking, toolmaking, machining, designing, plating, chemistry, electronics, drawing, CADding, 3D printing, photographing... We could add another 250 arts and crafts that are closely related with this forum.
We can't master them all, neither we're Renaissance or Industrial Revolution men inventing something new every day, someone is more versatile, someone more specialized. In my opinion all what matter is that we take genuine pleasure and enrichment from whatever we do while keeping in balance with the rest of our life, if we like to wander from a thing to another, so be it.

• Like 1

My new till for my future watchmakers shop. 🙂 I have to figure out how it works, as you can see it is not fully functional but it seems to have all parts. I love the bell sound when it opens. I don't have the keys. And it counts how many times you opened the lid, 25561 so far. 🙂

IMG_20220211_142003_HDR.thumb.jpg.499df040ee0f919d2e5bb14eb9a098ee.jpg

IMG_20220211_125732_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220211_125840_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220211_142024_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220211_142037_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220211_142044_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220211_142124_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220211_142053_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220211_142059_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220211_142104_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220211_142109_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220211_142148_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220211_142156_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220211_142201_HDR.jpg

Edited by luiazazrambo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 9:07 PM, luiazazrambo said:

As always 100% pallet wood.

Most entertaining. I have a bunch of scrap pallet wood offcuts, but sadly it seems not enough imagination to make automata with them.

RIMG0485.thumb.JPG.66c6c062d0583e5facb3fa558de4f905.JPG

I did build a bunch of fencing, and the gate does move if you push it, does that count?

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 10:25 PM, luiazazrambo said:

I only saw that in Russian movements so far.

image.png.aee6b4fde908438eeb090625b8e9766a.png

image.thumb.png.0e13af75eeb107970f331ccfceecfa14.png

I think that is because it is Russian. It looks like a Zaria 1509B.1 - I've seen a number of those in Sekonda ladies watches.

The shimming of the balance cock, and that shape of shock spring are very distinctly USSR/Russian.

They seem to run quite well if you clean them carefully.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Zaria_1509B_1

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, AndyHull said:

I did build a bunch of fencing, and the gate does move if you push it, does that count?

It does Andy. The sea theme was not my idea it was the project the students do at the end of the course. The original one came with a bird, but I wanted a cat and a fish. We have two cats and my daughter loves cats. I place the link to the course here not sure if it works or not: https://www.domestika.org/en/courses/3203-wooden-automata-bring-sculptures-to-life-with-movement/course 

As I do woodworking anyway and as I have played with the idea to make automatas in my head for a while before I found the course it did not help an awful lot with my woodworking skills but I loved it regardless. It is good for inspiration and also I wanted to reward the effort to put the course together. It also collects some info about the automata in general. It is well made and probably made for ppl with the basic tool set and knowledge. I saw an example which was made out of cartoon paper not wood.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AndyHull said:

I think that is because it is Russian. It looks like a Zaria 1509B.1 - I've seen a number of those in Sekonda ladies watches.

The shimming of the balance cock, and that shape of shock spring are very distinctly USSR/Russian.

Well done Andy! I thought it would be Russian but was not sure. I have a number of this watches and one of them even have Zaria written on the dial:

2.thumb.jpg.c9760988b98952700786099686d0f9cc.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.c1a35300fd258f7b286d9eddd5ee3e81.jpg

I managed to totally ruin its mainspring as it is very very small and tried to put it back by hand. It did upset me, what was even more disturbing is that the set of mainspring winder I have is totally useless and for as why, well I would need to open a separate topic to explain but it is down to the different profile of the barrel arbor and the winder. I am very very very keen to understand how to use these winders though. At the moment I have the impression that you simply cant... or maybe I am just not experienced enough.

Edited by luiazazrambo

These mainsprings are very fragile. I have managed to successfully do a couple around this size by hand, and completely ruined one. I would suggest that if the mainspring looks clean, it might be best to leave it in the barrel and clean it like that, then oil without removing it, as the risk of insufficient cleaning, or insufficient oiling is less than the risk of damaging it.

Simply popping the lid on the barrel can be tricky, and the barrel arbour is also tiny.

Edited by AndyHull

After carving a cat out of a block of some extra hard pine wood (I think that pallet came from the US.) with a blunt kitchen knife decided to make a whittling knife, my first ever knife. 100% recycled. Again wood is pallet wood, pegs from skip, blade is from a used table saw blade. Not perfect at all, but I am happy. I would need a proper belt sander. I left the markings from the file because i liked it.

IMG_20220319_224243_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220319_224304_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220319_224313_HDR.jpg

Edited by luiazazrambo
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Garden, family, holidays, also escaping cats destroying cat flaps... all against watchmaking. Terrible. 🤭 However I managed to do this and that including purchasing my 5th lathe this time a wood turning lathe, i am in the process to build a shed for it hopefully made out of pallet wood. Also started to clean up a tailstock and a 3 jaw chuck for one of the watchmakers lathe:

IMG_20220524_091806_HDR.thumb.jpg.f79c15a79740d7c65020bef1d2ab4f60.jpg

The chuck is ready and lubricated but the tailstock need polishing and lubrication.

I also got this for educational purpose:

IMG_20220524_084346.thumb.jpg.9ec196b7a55ad09f52e2535a9a7eaaeb.jpg

ESA 9158 amazing amazing amazing movement. With discrete electronic components reversing the direction of the power compared it to a "normal" mechanical watch. The balance wheel drives the train! 🙂 New strap and new case fully serviced with a bit of mistake... managed to brake one half of the balance jewel incablock shock spring on the bottom side. I am going to take it once again apart and replace the whole plate. (Is it possible to replace that spring only?) Further issue is that I need a movement ring as this one does not have one. Actually I need 3 of them as two other ESA 9158 are "half ready" and they have no movement rings either. Maybe someone could 3D print them? If I would have the dimensions of course...

IMG_20220524_084321.thumb.jpg.809e1cc3f7485a32f645ed232a081e99.jpg

This is the shock spring, one which is not broken but from another ESA 9158:

IMG_0236.thumb.JPG.4170713b422d6a9356160f2495d7b183.JPG