Finally! The Bergeon 2677 Platax Tool

The Lord has supplied yet another great tool for my little watch room ... one that I've been searching for, for quite a while now.

A 2677 Platax Tool ... as new, still in it's box!!!

It was a sizable investment; but these are now discontinued, and good ones rarely come up for sale.

I umed and arhed for a few minutes: weighting the cost against the benefits of having one to learn with ... and bit the bullet :blink:

Toasted spam sandwiches for dinner for the next month in is my future :wacko:

post-246-0-75123400-1419595169_thumb.jpg

post-246-0-73432500-1419595185_thumb.jpg

post-246-0-46012300-1419595200_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent Lawson, I bought one a few month ago. Can I give yo a wee bit of advice, don't store the punches point down as in the photograph, the tiny holes can get blocked way too easily. :-)

Edited by Geo

The going rate seems to be between £200 - £275 depending on condition.

hehe i picked this up for £7 thinking it "may" be useful in the future... i forgot about it until i needed it... most useful tool ever... 

put the instructions hanging over the stakes face up so when you open the box you dont prick yourself.

Edited by jnash

i picked this up for £7 thinking it "may" be useful in the future... i forgot about it until i needed it... most useful tool ever... 

put the instructions hanging over the stakes face up so when you open the box you dont prick yourself.

Wow!

Wearing a mask were we, or was it back in 1890? :-)

jnash, on 28 Dec 2014 - 03:56 AM, said:

Lawson: if you dont have the instructions, i scanned and posted these a while ago here ==> http://watchinprogress.com/bergeon-platax-roller-staff-remover-instructions/

Many thanks Jnash :thumbsu:

Don, on 28 Dec 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

Congrats Lawson. If it's discontinued, is there an equivalent tool still on the market?

I'm sure there is, but this particular model is regarded as the best for task, and very sort after for that reason.

I have been looking at ways of making replacement stakes for the platex & general staking tools.

The smallest holed stake on the platex is 0.15 mm and I have purchased a couple of drills of this size. It seems to me the hardest bit will be the tempering / hardening of the steel when finished. I think I will have to anneal some HSS then after the stake has been made re-harden the metal. To be honest this another learning thing but I do enjoy a challenge.

I will be having a go anyway in the new year.

Edited by clockboy

I have been told today that you can anneal HSS. But the engineer I was talking to thinks I am over complicating it. He suggests just case hardening mild steel on the tip part because I might have enough heat using my small plumbers blow touch.

I will enjoy the experiment anyway.

Edited by clockboy

• 4 years later...