Seiko 7005 intermittent

Hello all, I have a Seiko automatic 17 jewel 7005-2000 watch that I would like to wear, however the watch stops from time-to-time and takes a finger tap to get it running again. If the issue is serious, perhaps due to age, and therefor expensive to repair then I'll have to consign it to the 'bits draw' but if there's a chance of an inexpensive repair then I would certainly have the work done. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Gordon

Hi from what you describe it sounds like the watch is a candidate for servicing . A good clean and lubricate. prices vary from repair station to watchmaker, or do it your self but that requires you to set up a repair station, If you wish to continue as a hobby then ok if not out source the repair.

Good advice from @watchweasol. Most likely a servicing issue rather than a breakage.

Imagine your watch as a little engine and where the pivots for the various 'engine' parts run in lubricated (jewel) holes. Over time that important lubrication deteriorates and the engine parts cannot spin freely and the watch does not run. When you tap the watch you give enough energy for the watch to run again and overcome the deficient lubrication but the effect is of course only temporary. What a watch service does is to dismantle the watch, thoroughly clean all the parts, re-lubricate the necessary parts and perhaps replace a worn item like the mainspring.

Much like a car service you could do this yourself but you'll need the tools and expertise to do it. Otherwise you have to take it to someone who can service it ... but as a skilled and time consuming job it's not a budget thing. So for most people how they proceed boils down to the value of the watch ... not only in cold monetary terms but also their connection to the watch. Unfortunately with perfectly lovely watches that are not of high value a lot of people decide the service cost is not worth it. A shame as there must be gazillions of watches languishing in drawers out there! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GordonGBR said:

Hello all, I have a Seiko automatic 17 jewel 7005-2000 watch that I would like to wear, however the watch stops from time-to-time and takes a finger tap to get it running again.

That is a fault and is not said it can be resolved with cleaning and serving. So it may take considerable money and effort to fix something that is of very modest objective value.

Thank you very much for the quick responses, much appreciated. 

Since I posted the original question 3 hours ago the watch is still running but has gained 35 minutes (running too fast) so I think I'll source a repairer and get a quote. Thanks again.

Hmmmm, now who to send it too...….

2 minutes ago, GordonGBR said:

Since I posted the original question 3 hours ago the watch is still running but has gained 35 minutes (running too fast) so I think I'll source a repairer and get a quote. Thanks again.

You can be quoted easily $150 just for service. Time is time and professionals can't care if it is spent on a $30 or $3,000 watch.
You can demagnetize by yourself and take a good picture of the hairspring and post it here.

2 minutes ago, jdm said:

You can be quoted easily $150 just for service. Time is time and professionals can't care if it is spent on a $30 or $3,000 watch.
You can demagnetize by yourself and take a good picture of the hairspring and post it here.

150 $ or £ is clearly more than the value of the watch and I have no sentimental connection to it, and being a businessman who values his time I'll consign it to the bottom draw. Thanks again folks.

7 minutes ago, jdm said:

I need to correct myself as I've misread the OP, since it stops magnetization it not the problem.