Folkvisor

Vostok Automatic Mechanism

Question

Hi

I have watched the video a couple of times and I cannot figure out how the automatic winding mechanism works on the Vostok Divers Watch.

From what I can tell it is a bit like the Seiko mechanism? Perhaps I'm totally wrong.

Thank you,

Dave

7 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Folkvisor said:

Hi

I have watched the video a couple of times and I cannot figure out how the automatic winding mechanism works on the Vostok Divers Watch.

From what I can tell it is a bit like the Seiko mechanism? Perhaps I'm totally wrong.

Thank you,

Dave

Perhaps it has a rotor. I just can't remember seeing it in the video.

15 hours ago, Folkvisor said:

From what I can tell it is a bit like the Seiko mechanism?

Seiko uses a "magic lever" for the rotor to apply wind to the mainspring regardless of direction.

From what I can see in Mark's latest video (see time 7:58 and 21:40) it uses two gears similar to an ETA self-winding mechanism. FWIW, Mark doesn't put the rotor back on until much later in the video. (28:30)

Ahh, OK. Thank you. Yes, I saw the gears that, I take it, lets it wind in either direction but, not seeing a rotor, I thought it was, perhaps, a magic rotor of some sort...lol

I guess I didn't see the whole video.

Have you seen the new Moritz Grossman automatic mechanism? 

Yes they have a rotor like any other auto, then the reduction system and reversing wheels so not like Seiko's pawl lever system but they are bidirectional, they're a really good auto wind system.