2813 Chinese Movement Hour Minute Not Moving

Mrfixit

Good afternoon, 

I'm Chris, new to the forum so greetings to all. Have replaced a faulty 2813 movement to find the new one stops the hour and minute hand when the hour hand is fitted, no dial. Works fine with the minute and seconds fitted, but the hour seems to be stalling the train. Checked that nothing is fouling the hand - am I right in believing this must be a faulty new movement ? 

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Chris

• Thanks 1

Take the dial off and seat the hour hand and see if it runs.  (Assuming you have placed the dial.)  It could be that the hour hand flange is fouling the dial opening.  If so, you may need to carefully open the dial orifice a bit to allow the hour hand more room.

If you do not have a dial in place, seat the hour hand and take a very close look at the hour wheel and all of the motion works.

Good luck,

RMD

4 hours ago, Mrfixit said:

Works fine with the minute and seconds fitted, but the hour seems to be stalling the train. Checked that nothing is fouling the hand - am I right in believing this must be a faulty new movement?

No. As suggested above that is because the hour hand is fouling somewhere.

On the face of it it does sound like something fouling. But also check that hour wheel and its correct seating. The addition of dial washer and dial will keep the wheel in place but testing without dial it's easy for the wheel to lift slightly, not be seated correctly and the potential to affect the workings.  

Edited by WatchMaker

Dose the movement turn the hour wheel? ( No hands fitted)

If you can,t tell by usual indicators,  I would wind  and get the movement runing,  Mark  ( The tube you mounted the hour hand on)  with a magic marker, ( no hand fitted) , check if the hour wheel has moved several hours later, thereby we can tell if fouling occurs as a result of pressing down on the hour hand/wheel. 

Could you have pressed the hour hand too far down? 

Best

• Like 1

Evening people, many thanks for your replies, really appreciated. Had another look at the movement, this time when fitting the hour hand didn't push it so far as to make it flush with the shaft it sits on, but left it slightly higher (no dial filled). This time it ran so refitted the dial and hands, re cased and working - for the moment ! Time to research canon pinions I think.

Kindest regards to all.

Chris

• Like 1