Watch repairer recommendations

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I am Ken and currently residing in Singapore. I have a vintage 1940s Phigied Monopusher with Angelus Caliber 210. I think i have over wound it and and now it doesn't run and i cannot set the time. However, the chrono function is working, start, stop and reset fine. I have tried to find a watch repairer to help me fix the watch but non of them willing to do so cost it's tedious to fix and they may not have the parts. I have sent it to an US watch repair company and they are asking USD1000 to fix it with complete service. I think it's way too high and it's way over my budget. I am wondering anyone can recommend good watch repairer with reasonable charges? Many thanks! 

IMG_20190830_110807.jpg

IMG_20190830_110820.jpg

Hi, 

A friend of mine recently picked up a nice 1938 Universal Geneve Compur. It looked great in the seller photos, intact, etc. But it arrived with the chrono sweep hand dislocated. He gave it to me to reset the hand but on closer inspection once I had it in hand, the hand was actually broken, the tube was gone. 
I’ve only looked for the pieces at a fairly superficial level, in the case front and case back. Not there. 

So I wonder, has anyone experienced such a total disappearance and dislocation of a hand in transit like this? I get it, it’s old. But the hand tube not only broke but the tube become un-riveted from the hand too. It just seems like a lot of force to be required for such a break. 
FWIW the watch was very well packaged in quite a bit of bubble wrap and rigid box. 
Well, I’m in over my head (I’ve let him know as such). I am not at a skill level to repair a vintage chrono hand like this if I did find the tube somewhere in the movement. So rather than dig around to find it then send it to someone I suggested he send it to someone. 
can anyone recommend a watchmaker in the Seattle, WA, USA area that might be appropriate for this kind of job? 
I’d really like to hear your feedback on the experience of such a damage and who could help repair. 
Thanks! 

3-EB7-CFEC-48-EB-4-A0-F-AF5-B-ED4079-F0-

6-F84-BDBC-1976-4595-8-A4-D-65-DB38-CFFE

7-AC31-EE3-1-D91-4-F64-8-C46-31-CEBF86-A

96-BB3-EE4-0762-45-EE-BC54-0502-BBBE6-D5

9-D220-CB1-7-A78-4-F1-A-88-B0-ED47-B6-E8

A45382-D0-D49-C-4656-9-C5-F-3892-BBB8-B7

BC1317-B1-FB0-B-4-E41-892-A-A1-EEEA3379-

F705-A01-E-1-ACF-4211-B9-F7-173-B9-B2-C2

Hello Ken,

regarding age, complexity and probable wear of the movement, I would say the estimate is reasonable.

You will have to pay similar for European/US service by experienced pros. The chronographs coming from Asia to my workshop were all butchered in some way and in worse state than an defective but untouched watch.

If the watch is worth such investment will be your decision.

Frank

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Watchtime said:

Maybe send it to Mark, he lives in Thailand now if I am correct?

Mark has not been taking repair work since a while, please do not set such expectations. Of course everyone is free to ask or confirm by using PM directly to him.

Regarding the $1,000 estimate, that doesn't specify if any part has to be replaced, hence it could be possible that work consist simply of servicing and mainspring adjustments, I think it's not reasonable but at the same time that is what  the market commands as the alternatives are few.

However there are many able watchmakers with online presence, for example watchguy.co.uk which lists servicing manual wind chrono starting at GBP250.

Another name that comes to mind is Archer Watches in Canada. I'm sure there are others

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

1000 seems high if it's just a service and doesn't need parts. From the pics I can see the hairspring is in bad shape, possibly an easy adjustment, maybe not; the minute counter jumper is bent, adjusting those is a 'make or break' exercise often. Perhaps the staff is broken, if they are unavailable that would certainly push the price up several hundred bucks. It could be the estimate is high to cover eventuals, but might come out cheaper in reality.

The above 250GBP seems in line with Swiss repair prices, probably similar in the U.S., for a straight service no extras.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, clockboy said:

Cousins supply hands you need their catalogue to assist. Even if you find the tube re-attaching is difficult. 

Thanks, I agree with you. Rebuilding a hand looks very difficult. 

3 hours ago, Watchtime said:

I am happy to look in my parts drawer if you know the size

I will measure it and let you know. 

3 hours ago, praezis said:

As clockboy advised: easiest is a new (blued) hand. Length must match, at least not shorter. Bore of the tube (probably 0.26...0.28mm) can be adjusted.

Else a new tube can be made and rivetted to the hand.

Frank

I’ll have to talk to the owner, confirm if he wants it to stay all original or if a replacement hand is acceptable. 

2 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

I would make a new tube, the hand seems original. Not sure how many watchmakers are around WA who do any turning work, but I know Matt Henning in MA does parts making pretty much exclusively and also works by mail pretty much exclusively, and is a square dealer.

Thanks! I’ll reach out to a Matt. 

14 hours ago, jdm said:

Mark has not been taking repair work since a while, please do not set such expectations. Of course everyone is free to ask or confirm by using PM directly to him.

Regarding the $1,000 estimate, that doesn't specify if any part has to be replaced, hence it could be possible that work consist simply of servicing and mainspring adjustments, I think it's not reasonable but at the same time that is what  the market commands as the alternatives are few.

However there are many able watchmakers with online presence, for example watchguy.co.uk which lists servicing manual wind chrono starting at GBP250.

Another name that comes to mind is Archer Watches in Canada. I'm sure there are others

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out with watchguy.co.uk and Archer Watches!

15 hours ago, praezis said:

Hello Ken,

regarding age, complexity and probable wear of the movement, I would say the estimate is reasonable.

You will have to pay similar for European/US service by experienced pros. The chronographs coming from Asia to my workshop were all butchered in some way and in worse state than an defective but untouched watch.

If the watch is worth such investment will be your decision.

Frank

This is the detail work to be done for the quoted price. Managed only to bargain it down a little w USD75 discount. I find the glass replacement is too high and told them to exlude changing the glass but they rejected my suggestion. I really like that watch but not sure to put in that much of money in. With a little bit more, probably i could get another working piece chrono. 

Capture1.JPG

13 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

1000 seems high if it's just a service and doesn't need parts. From the pics I can see the hairspring is in bad shape, possibly an easy adjustment, maybe not; the minute counter jumper is bent, adjusting those is a 'make or break' exercise often. Perhaps the staff is broken, if they are unavailable that would certainly push the price up several hundred bucks. It could be the estimate is high to cover eventuals, but might come out cheaper in reality.

The above 250GBP seems in line with Swiss repair prices, probably similar in the U.S., for a straight service no extras.

The repair said need some parts as per the quotation. Hence the high price. For US1k, i think i can get some decent vintage chrono. So now i m considering should i proceed onot.....

Capture1.JPG

5 hours ago, KenTan said:

I find the glass replacement is too high and told them to exlude changing the glass but they rejected my suggestion.

These crystals are normally about $10. I find thara estimate to be greedy. 

Please s when using quote to reply do not include the full text, especially images. It makes the thread less readable. 

6 minutes ago, jdm said:

6 minutes ago, jdm said:

Please s when using quote to reply do not include the full text, especially images. It makes the thread less readable. 

That's why i am not really keen to let them do the repair, especially they have rejected my request not to replace the crystal and said it's mandatory. In Singapore, i think the price for changing a crystal is abt $30-$50. 

• Like 1

On the face of it this does seem to be a rather enthusiastic estimate.

For comparison I checked out the "Watch Guy's" online price list (this guy is well respected as an independent), and his price for a basic service on a manual wind chrono without an hour recorder is £250. This doesn't include the cost of a mainspring which he will replace so add about £20 for that, or other spare parts that are required, but it does include the crystal.

As he says " All other repair work, including fitting new crystals, is usually included in the service price unless it is extensive. Case and bracelet cleaning is also included in the price, but not polishing."

So all in at about £270 plus the cost of spare parts. That works out at about $330.

What we don't know for sure is what parts are needed, or what the cost of procuring those parts is, although $610 is a bit ambitious to say the least.

• Like 2

Price of crystal depends on quality. I just sent the picture to watchmaker I know, fixed final price is $ 160 all parts and polishing included. General resort MS only.

I approve of the work but not lubricants, I think lubricants here are fake bottled and branded moebius.  

Hope I am not violating forums policies.

15 hours ago, Marc said:

On the face of it this does seem to be a rather enthusiastic estimate.

For comparison I checked out the "Watch Guy's" online price list (this guy is well respected as an independent), and his price for a basic service on a manual wind chrono without an hour recorder is £250. This doesn't include the cost of a mainspring which he will replace so add about £20 for that, or other spare parts that are required, but it does include the crystal.

I have contacted Watch Guy and the reply was they agreed if those are the work to be done, the cost will be around the same. However i still think USD140 is way too much. 

Just a comment, and a bit OT.

I'm a hobbyist and I put my heart and soul into every watch I service and repair (any watch takes me at least a day), and I often marvel over the - in my honest opinion - low prices that professional watch repairers charge for their work. How can they survive!?