Advice on Seiko Pogue

DrG

Hi everyone! 

Yesterday my dad sent me a box full of his watches for me to practice and repair on. To my surprise, he sent a separate box with his original Seiko Pogue and a letter telling me that he wanted me to have it. Very emotional for me, as this is my father’s favorite watch. 

I kindly ask for advice on how to restore this timepiece. I feel comfortable changing the gaskets and perhaps the crystal. I would like to change the hands, as they have lost the lume, however they are original. The movement service I am afraid to take on, as I am an amateur/beginner and don’t want to damage it. The dial I think has a nice vintage patina. The bezel insert was replaced once, as the original was completely faded. The guy who serviced it last time (almost 10 years ago) did not do a good job and lost the inner bezel gear that goes in the stem. I found a replacement and could replace that myself. 

Thank you in advance and any advice is more than welcome. :) here is a picture. 

D61CC03E-DA6C-40EB-8476-F8A93B9DA6C6.jpeg

• Like 1

Changing the hand on a chrono is not the same as changing the hands on a normal watch. They are really tight on the post, this is to prevent them flying off when the hands are reset. You also need to have support the end of the seconds clutch when installing the seconds hand to prevent damage to the clutch wheel.

Seiko also has a 'flat' on the center seconds hand so the hand will deform a bit to fit the post, lessening the chance of it moving. The 'flat' can be in any position relative to 12 oçlock so a second-hand one will not work well as it has already deformed to its original post.

My advice is that for a watch with such sentimental value I would get it professionally serviced together with a crystal and gasket change.

Anilv

• Like 2

To help you understand the problem of putting the hands back on I'm attaching the service document. Then I Snipped out a image ideally you should have a special movement holder. It provides the support behind the hands so you don't break anything when you're pushing the hands-on.

Then this is definitely not a beginner's watch even for the hands.

Seiko S-500.JPG

Seiko 6139A.pdf

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

Then I Snipped out a image ideally you should have a special movement holder. It provides the support behind the hands so you don't break anything when you're pushing the hands-on.

Below a nicely 3D printed one. If someone else doesn't buy it today I will as I want to get started with chronos.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEIKO-6139-MOVEMENT-HOLDER-FOR-HANDSETTING-613X-TYPES-NEW/193134073530

That's an interesting movement holder looks like it will do the quartz chronograph also. The only catch is it's missing the support pieces for driving the hands on. Then because the image I snipped didn't show that I'm attaching a picture just in case you see one in the junk box of Seiko stuff you'll know what you're looking at.

Seiko S-500 holder.JPG

41 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

The only catch is it's missing the support pieces for driving the hands on.

You're correct, I've sent a message to the seller/maker and attached your picture of the original holder.

Edited by jdm

12 hours ago, jdm said:

You're correct, I've sent a message to the seller/maker and attached your picture of the original holder.

And here's his condescending answer. I won't bother corresponding further and will buy a proper one, or make my own.

If you think this tool is not good for your job then please don t buy  it. I used it without problem.

15 hours ago, jdm said:

And here's his condescending answer. I won't bother corresponding further and will buy a proper one, or make my own.

If you think this tool is not good for your job then please don t buy  it. I used it without problem.

If someone has the measurements, (I could take my 6139 movement out if necessary and measure but would rather not unnecessarily). I could try to draw something up and print to test which I'd be happy to ship to anyone with shipping cost covered. My cad knowledge is incredibly basic though.

The support pieces could be designed in and part of the holder or something like a threaded insert and small bolt which could be adjusted?

Alternatively. If someone actually good with cad could draw one up I'd be happy to test print and likewise ship to anyone wanting one.