Any Marathon GPM owners? I've a quick question about the movement it uses: Seiko's NH35A

desuty

I dropped my watch from a 4 feet high counter, and while the watch didn't suffer any physical or cosmetic damage, it suddenly began to lose time. It loses time upwards of 90 seconds/day. 

I've also noticed that when winding the crown counter-clockwise in zero position, the gear-teeth-cluthing sound isn't the same as winding it clockwise. Now I remember that winding crown in either direction (position zero) produced the same sound (even though Seiko's datasheet explicitly states that rotating crown counter-clockwise does nothing).

Anyone who owns a Marathon GPM - can you confirm the winding sound when rotating crown clockwise and counter-clockwise in position 0? I would really appreciate your insight on this - so that I can better convey this to a local watchmaker. I'm trying to assess if this could be fixed simply by regulating the watch or perhaps it might need actual repairs due to grave damage of some kind.

For reference, I've uploaded a video and this is the crunchy sound my watch's crown makes when winding clockwise, while producing faint tick sound when rotating it counter-clockwise. Does you GPM make a similar sound?

Youtube ID: Add /watch?v=g9tzw1f8HvA to the YouTube domain (can't post due to being a newbie)

Thanks for reading. Again, any insight would be much appreciated. I suspect there might be an issue with hairspring (from what I've researched online). The best watchmaker in our town has his expertise on Omega and Rolex - he looks at Seiko's movements with disgust. I just wanted to ensure that he doesn't shoo me away to service the whole watch (as he said yesterday) when this watch is barely 3 months old.

Edited by desuty
Adding more description to my problem!

Thanks  jdm. I never thought that mere regulation would fix the problem. I thought maybe the hairspring might have gone haywire or something even worse. Is it normal for watches suffering such an impact to slow down or perhaps act wildly? 

38 minutes ago, desuty said:

Thanks  jdm. I never thought that mere regulation would fix the problem. I thought maybe the hairspring might have gone haywire or something even worse. Is it normal for watches suffering such an impact to slow down or perhaps act wildly? 

An hit can just move the regulator arm and would be the most benign consequence. Also the HS can suffer from a shock but there is little you can do about it. If the watchmaker (assuming you can find one able to) takes time to correct that may cost you more than complete mov't. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1