Timex Refurbishment - Need some advice!

ok, so with the crystal off do you still notice the issues you described?

If so, you will have to check under the dial.  My guess is it relates to the winding gears and how they mesh up to the cannon pinon.

welcome to vintage Timex debugging!

34 minutes ago, JerseyMo said:

ok, so with the crystal off do you still notice the issues you described?

If so, you will have to check under the dial.  My guess is it relates to the winding gears and how they mesh up to the cannon pinon.

welcome to vintage Timex debugging!

Haha, yes.  I had a feeling this was going to have challenges along the way.  I will remove the crystal and see if that is the issue.

52 minutes ago, totalrekall said:

Removed the crystal - still seems frozen.

time to get deeper …… 

what you have to do now is follow the mechanical trail so to speak.  Remove the dial and top bridge that hold the date ring.  Than with the stem in place pull it to set position. and begin to turn.  I have a hunch what it is but come on do you really want it to be that easy?

On 10/29/2019 at 5:31 PM, JerseyMo said:

time to get deeper …… 

what you have to do now is follow the mechanical trail so to speak.  Remove the dial and top bridge that hold the date ring.  Than with the stem in place pull it to set position. and begin to turn.  I have a hunch what it is but come on do you really want it to be that easy?

Turns out it WAS the crystal!  I had it set too deep in the watch - first time using a crystal lift!  Re-applied the crystal at a slightly higher depth, and now it works perfectly and still runs like a champ.  Now, time to purchase a nice band to go with it and give it a nice buffing with the Dremel.  Then project pictures!