Hi all, I have recently acquired a Seiko M354-5010 watch. It was among a job lot of very well used watches and shows real signs of wear, although it seems to work perfectly after fitting a new battery.

Am I right in thinking that this is known as the Moonraker watch, so called for its affiliation with the 1978 film of the same name? 

Here are some pictures of the watch, hopefully somebody can shed some light on this for me.

157030112062647302914.jpg

1570301172073-1569121335.jpg

1570301235971-1009322665.jpg

1570301271102846203516.jpg

This guy thinks it is:  

https://youtu.be/Jx5fWMSwDCY

Heavier than the 1981 version I bought new.  Don't spray any type of electronics cleaner in the case!  It clouded the lettering on my bezel! 

Also, the crystal is hard to press out.  I'll leave that to someone who knows for certain as I trashed mine.  Found a new glass, but still looking for the dial bezel.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• There are books,       that tell you how to re-shape an hair spring  and tools to use,   I read de Carles Watch Repair.   one tool i recall is "2 pairs of rounding plyers.   vin
    • I read somewhere (maybe the tube) that you can cure a lot of evils if you wind the spring up as you would into a mainspring winder (though a MS winder would be too large and this would have to be done on the flat of your bench for example) until it is fully and tightly coiled.  I gather this gives it its shape back and you can move on from there.  Maybe a bit of an ask for your spring though !!  Maybe worth a try as not much to lose !!
    • Well, I have just written to Mr. Sudarson at www.oldswisswatches.com and have politely asked him how he can help me with this problem. I'll keep you updated on the progress. Yes, I don't think you're wrong to assume that the cost of living and wages in India are extremely low. An alternative explanation could possibly be that the repair prices reflect the same kind of quality that the spare parts they sent me had, but I wouldn't really know.
    • I inherited a clock over 30 years ago that must have been in the family almost from new. It is identical in appearance, size, as a 1907 Urania 400 day anniversary clock but apart from a serial number stamped on the back 32638, (in the same place and font as the Urania) there are no other markings except for an S and an F on the circular weight.  The dial has no markings but I understand that this is not abnormal as often retailers added there own mark.  Is there any knowledge of a likely resource that might help provide any info. Thank you.