Hairspring regulating pins

Can anyone give me advice on how best to open, close and adjust these regulating pins, before I do something irreversible? They are from an Osco 42. I have tried to turn the thicker pin with a screwdriver in the now mangled slot. I have also tried pliers. It won't budge. I Bent the thinner pin to get the hairspring out, but I suspect I don't have too many more chances to get it back into shape. I'd prefer to do as much manipulation as possible with the hairspring out of the way.

WIN_20191004_20_13_02_Pro.jpg

Hi the regulator pins are not meant to be bent as this will effect the rating of the watch as the gap in which the balance spring operates will be incorrect.  In your case the boot shaped leg has to turn thro 90 deg to release the spring. Some of these legs are tight, Use a screwdriver which fits the slot and place the balance cock on a firm surface and with firm pressure attempt to turn the leg. If you manage this there is just a chance you will be able to stroke the fine pin upright with fine tweezers, stroke it along its lenght carefully do not attempt to bend it straight or it will break off.                          

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

When I get a boot that doesn't want to move I put some oil, thin like 9010, on its mounting point. Turn back and forth with (well fitting) screwdriver and they go free. Only recall one in 20 years that didn't work, old Lecoultre from the 20's.

WWsol is right about the pin, need to be really careful, the gap should be roughly equivalent to a hairspring thickness when you're done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Success! A drop of oil on the base boot and the head of the rivet then letting it soak for a while worked wonders! Didn't even need working loose, just turned like there'd never been a problem.

I also managed to straighten the pin to a reasonable degree by placing the tip of an oiler between pin and boot, then squeezing with tweezers. The final adjustment of the gap I will do when fitting everything back together. I don't see how I can get the gap small enough and parallel, without putting a severe dog-leg in the pin right at the bottom, but I might not have to. We'll see.

Thanks very much once again. Amazing how just having the confidence you are doing the right thing helps you do it right.

• Like 1

I believe both the boot and pin are usually a friction fit in the balance cock.  Cousins UK have a range of these available, so as a last resort (or necessity if you bust them!!) you could measure up the old ones before removing them and source some new ones to push in.

A final report from my side. Here's a close-up of the regulator pins in action. I think you can make out where the balance spring sits in the gap, and that the gap is reasonably small and parallel in the area it needs to be. I think I'll leave it at that. The movement has too many other issues to be a really good performer anyway, but great for practising on. Thanks again to everyone for the help and advice.14559044_Regulatorclose-up.png.728c4bff933f7acc4d1b707c44ec0e64.png 

• Like 1