Removing lume

easj369

I have not received this watch in hand yet.  I just bought it off eBay.   It was previously listed on eBay with a terrible title and then relisted.  I bid on this watch and won it.  Tonight I was looking at the listing again and saw he added to the description after I bid on it.   The hands were relumed and the dial had lume added which I think is sad    I can live with the hands being done but on the dial I already don't care for.   I do want this watch and am going to keep it.  Is there a way to remove the new lume on the dial without hurting it or should I just live with it?  On a side note, can anybody identify the movement?  Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

David

Screenshot_20191003-221831.png

Screenshot_20191003-221840.png

Screenshot_20191003-191139.png

Wait a minute- you won the watch in the first picture only to have the listing updated stating the watch had been re-lumed and a new picture posted?

Yeah, I wouldn't accept that- too shady.  The luminous paint in the second image is too bright and doesn't look proper.  It might be possible to remove it without damaging the dial but that's  not guaranteed. 

The value of the piece has taken a hit too since the original luminous paint on the dial is gone- even if it's under the new paint, there's no way to remove just the new paint and recover the old paint.  The old paint is probably radium based which is another reason to avoid  messing with the dial.

Lastly, the regulator pushed way off to the side is an ominous sign.

same here, are you sure it is the same watch that you won or has the seller others on sale? If it is the same, I would stay away, maybe other things are changed too like the movement.

I am sure it is against the rules of Ebay to alter photos after a lot is sold

It is the same watch. He edited the description and added the two photos mentioning how his wife brought the wrong watch to his watchmaker for new lume.  I didn't even realize how far over the regulator was.  He had it listed several weeks ago but took it off because he said he accidentally broke the balance staff while wearing it and mentioned how he would relist it on eBay after his watch maker repairs it. I messaged him a few times after he ended the first listing which is how I know about the broken staff.  There are no shock absorbers so I know that is a possibility of being true.  I'm almost positive the dial had no lume to begin with. Which is why I was asking about removing what was added, plus most the circles are different sizes.  I should have it in hand in about 5 hours so I will post different photos.  I will post the auction if that is allowed on the forum.  The photos and extra description were 24 hours prior to the listing ending.   I had already put in my first bid, didn't even think of looking again when I put in my second bid before the auction ended.

Yes, that looks like a landeron 48.

Don't worry unduly about the regulator, that could simply be a case of the watch requiring a service and having been adjusted to compensate.

The dial certainly doesn't look right with that lume and eBay is typically pretty good regarding alterations being made etc.

On receipt get pictures including the movement to ensure that you've got what is pictured and not a substitute, that can happen.

Also, communicate with the seller if you're unhappy first as there's a possibility he/she might be amenable to giving a partial refund which might still make it worth your while.

If you decide to keep it, I'd recommend having that dial professionally restored as it's beyond 'patina' and is a mess anyway.

On a side note, I could use a minute wheel jumper spring for a landeron I have from someone for service if you're so displeased you want to move it along, Lol :lol:

Edited by m1ks

The proper watch was sent.  Tomorrow I am going to see if I can try and use a matchstick or pegwood to knock off the new lume.  If not I might just keep it with it. I'm a person that doesn't really like to mess with things unless it's completely destroyed. On the upside the watch does function as it should and the last five hours has been keeping good time. I really should invest in a time graph machine.  Thank you for all of the replies.

David

Screenshot_20191004-172649.png

Screenshot_20191004-172649.png

Screenshot_20191004-172707.png

Screenshot_20191004-172717.png

I think so although I'm not 100% certain, the parts more closely resemble the 48 rather than the 148 and 248 and the non shock balance.

I'd be concerned at that regulator being right over by the stud though, can you get a slow motion video of the balance swinging to see the amplitude?

• 3 weeks later...