Balance issues with various watches.

Hello all.

I have a common issue with a few of my watches and can do with advise. 

1. my first issue is with my balance sounding like it has a limp every revolution of the balance wheel. I believe this is a reason why it stops.
  2. another one is that my other watch runs incredibly fast and regulating seems to be have no impact. It is only a 21600BPH but it seems to run at more than that, so much the the second hand now just sweeps where it used to tick before. I have two balances for this that does that. i have demagnetized them both and serviced the watch. 

Can somebody please advise. 

The first watch is out of beat and needs to be set in beat, although it may have other issues too.

Do some research on how to set a watch into beat

The second watch sounds like it has a hairspring issue, and there are a few possibilities but all of them will be leading to the hairspring behaving like it is shorter making the watch beat faster. This could be the watch is magnetized causing the hairspring coils to stick to each other, or it could have oil on it also causing the coils to stick to each other. The hairspring could be out of flat and touching something. Either way have a close look at the hairspring.

The first watch is out of beat and needs to be set in beat, although it may have other issues too.
Do some research on how to set a watch into beat
The second watch sounds like it has a hairspring issue, and there are a few possibilities but all of them will be leading to the hairspring behaving like it is shorter making the watch beat faster. This could be the watch is magnetized causing the hairspring coils to stick to each other, or it could have oil on it also causing the coils to stick to each other. The hairspring could be out of flat and touching something. Either way have a close look at the hairspring.

I partially agree with Tmuir. Check the first watch to see if the balance spring is not magnetized or fouled with an unseen hair, rust or oil. However, is the second hand is running unchecked, make sure the pallet fork is engaged and not missing a stone. Also that the stones are reaching the escapement wheel. It may be off a bit.

The other watch might have a pivot problem with the balance pivot or escapement wheel or possibly even the third. Wheel. It the pivot is bent or fouled out the pivot hole (jeweled or not) has been reamed out, it would allow for misalignment of the adjoining interfaces of the gears in the train. It would sound funny and stop periodically as well.

Keep us posted. Every problem has a solution. Keep looking. You will find it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The top diagram I have posted on the main page of the forum, shows where impulse jewel should come to rest to be in beat. If you turn the balance wheel clock or anticlockwise, impulse jewel moves and gets out of the fork horn, so you would see the fork start to move. The balance wheel position where slight move to left or right causes the fork to move is where impulse jewel is in beat.

So grab the wheel with tweezers, to turn it, while observing the fork from top view.  Once you see where the fork interacts with the impulse, move the stud carrier to bring it( the impukse jewel) to rest within the horns of the fork, at such position the staff, fork arbor,escape arbor fall on a streight line and impulse should be in the midle of banking pins.

Obviously if you check for the beat before cleaning you can just touch and turn the wheel with your fingers, More control. 

Once on timegrapher you can adjust more accurately.

Best

• Like 1

Hi All,

Had a review of these issues and it was mainly beat error within the balance, hence the odd ticking noises. 

in relation to the first issue, it is now ticking and moving correctly, however, it stil ticks way too fast. it was working well and ticking at around 18000BPH which is how it should when i first put the balance back on, but then i must have knocked it and give it shock, then it jumped to well over 1800 BPH and was jumped 20 mins within 10 MINS real time. 

The other watches had been running last night when i revised the beat error, then it must have randomly stopped overnight and lost 1:30h in the morning.  

7 hours ago, RyanGreerMcGilloway said:

Hi All,

Had a review of these issues and it was mainly beat error within the balance, hence the odd ticking noises. 

in relation to the first issue, it is now ticking and moving correctly, however, it stil ticks way too fast. it was working well and ticking at around 18000BPH which is how it should when i first put the balance back on, but then i must have knocked it and give it shock, then it jumped to well over 1800 BPH and was jumped 20 mins within 10 MINS real time. 

The other watches had been running last night when i revised the beat error, then it must have randomly stopped overnight and lost 1:30h in the morning.  

Runing twice as fast?   possible partial fluttering at escapement teeth. Also check if HS,s outer most coil is stuck behind the stud or the boot or two layers of hairspring in requlator slot.