My mechanical watch has stopped

Farah

Hi All, 

I’m new here.

My mechanical watch has stopped, if I shake it really hard the second hand ticks for a few seconds then stops. 
I’d love someone on here to take it of my hands and repair it for me reasonably I can pay via PayPal.

I’m happy to post it to anyone in the U.K.

Not looking for a master watch repairer that would charge £££, just someone who knows what their doing and can maybe use it has an practice exercise as I’m sure this is a common issue.

Please reply on here or message me directly.

Welcome to the forum, it's most likely needing a thorough service assuming that it's stopped over time and not suddenly after being dropped or similar.

If you can give more info on your location and the watch I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Hello M1ks,

It’s a replicate Rolex datejust (I know.. I bet everyone here will sigh) with a good swizz movement, my wife got it for me from abroad. It worked perfectly for about 4 years, I would leave it for a month shake it for a minute and it would run all day.

I’m in west London (Hayes), can anyone service it for me? And how would it cost?

Some rolex fakes work ok, and as 4 years thats good. Sounds like a good service and will go again. Problem is getting people to do it, most shudder at fakes, and a lot of shops will not want to touch it. Think it be past my level of learning, but hope someone helps. Even though real rolexes are a bit better quality, their prices are extortionate to say the least ( no doubt will get slapped for saying this lol

No problem here with replicas. I've had and still do a have a couple, watches I like but know I won't afford the real thing of.

I will say however, it's highly unlikely it has a swiss movement at all, many replicas claimed they used ETA or similar but in reality all the ones I've ever seen, (a few), had either cheap Chinese movements or clones of swiss movements.

To give an idea, if it didn't cost north of 500gbp the likelihood of a real ETA is slimmer than a supermodel during London fashion week.

That said. Some of the Chinese movements are OK, the problem can be if parts are broken or damaged as replacements are nigh on impossible to source. Aside from generic things like mainsprings. Mainly because entire replacement movements are cheap. So it's a 6 of one, half dozen of the other situation.

Odds are it will just need a service and if it ran for 4 years acceptably then it should be a decent movement.

I'd take a look for you and be able to give you an idea if it's a straightforward service or not but I'm right the other end of the country in Scotland.

Worst case scenario would be that you'd have to replace the movement and if it's something like a 2824 clone, one would cost 30 to 40 ish for a decent clone, less for a lower beat replica movement.

I take it this has more of a sentimental value than anything to you?

• Like 1

Hello M1ks,

Yes, it has great sentimental value to me because sadly my late wife brought it for me.

I’ve been watching YouTube videos for a few months now trying to muster up the carriage to fix it myself but I wouldn’t know where to start.

I wish I had joined this forum earlier.

If you could send me your address, I’ll pop it in the post tomorrow morning, it’s not really of any great value but if you can repair it, that would make my year and off cause I’m happy to pay for your time and any parts. 

9 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

How do you know that it's a good Swiss movement?

Hi John,

You’re right, I don’t actually know but it worked for 4 years without any issues so I think whatever is in there is a decent movement Swiss or not.

Thanks for the interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Brief update for you Farah.

Have manipulated the hairspring into a usable shape and a bit of naptha on the pivots sees it ruuning, albeit weakly, evidence of dried up lubricant on the balance jewels, (these cheap movements are hit and miss in that department, they're just as often unlubricated).

Will add to the queue waiting for the cleaning machine and see how it looks after that, given the severe bend in the spring and with no-one you're aware of being inside the case previously I do wonder why it happened and can only assume the less than ideal tolerances couple with perhaps a sever shock at some point allowed the spring to catch in the boot of the regulator and bend as the balance wheel has been jogged.
I will update further as and when I strip it for cleaning.

On 10/4/2019 at 1:03 AM, Farah said:

Hello M1ks,

Yes, it has great sentimental value to me because sadly my late wife brought it for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

I’ve been so busy that I completely forgot to watch the video you made of my watch.

I can’t believe you got it ticking!.. I’m mean sweeping again, I shared the video with my brother and he can’t believe it’s working again after telling me to bin it.

Thank you so.. much I couldn’t thank you enough.

I will message you privately shortly.

Final update, this was a bit more than the twisted hairspring it appeared at first.

Pivot on the cock side was broken and the chaton jewel cracked, the cap jewel was the thickest I've seen putting the shock spring under enormous flex and most likely giving it no shock flex capacity.

I suspect at some point the watch had had a sudden shock, a sharp knock etc leading to the problems.

However, it happened that among my Chinese spare bits I had a movement sitting that had the same balance so the balance complete and the chaton and cap jewel were transferred and timed to ensure it was workable.

Whole movement stripped, cleaned and reassembled and giving an acceptable trace and accuracy.

Have left it running for the past few days and it's keeping time ok so I'm quite happy this now.

Will drop you a message Farah and you'll be able to fit a bracelet and have it back on your wrist in a few days.

Images are damaged pivot, same again different angle, cracked jewel, balance again also showing bent pivot on the opposite side, chaton fitted with cap jewel, timegrapher trace showing DU, PD, PR.

IMG_20191113_121230.jpg

IMG_20191113_121330.jpg

IMG_20191113_121356.jpg

IMG_20191113_121414.jpg

IMG_20191113_121451.jpg

rps20191113_121917.jpg