Recoiling balance spring using sewing needles

Jheric

Hello,
Have someone had experience using sewing needles for recoiling springs?
I saw a comment on youtube, his a veteran watchmaker and have been recoiling springs for about 60 years.

This was his original post

"Thank you for your honesty, only I am nearly 80 years old and have been recoiling balance springs for about 60 years. I don't use tweezers, I use two VERY small sewing needles with the tip of the eye end ground back leaving what looks like a two pronged fork then with the pointed end pushed into a piece of peg wood. These fine eye ends of the needles fit nicely between the coils of the spring with the spring sitting in the forks. It works well for recoiling and flatting the the spring. But you do have to be very calm with steady hands. Good luck."  - Keith solloway

I think this would be a very interesting topic.

• Like 2

Hi  I Have actually made some of these tools , I fitted mine into some three eights dowel rod, I like the  OP have found these useful as I think they give greater control, but like all balance spring work with either tweezers or these tools it requires great care and a steady hand. 

• Like 3

I find bending is too harsh as you create a localised bend and results in metal fatigue. Using the ground down needle eye generates a lot of pressure at the point where the spring leaves the eye. That is why using tweezers to hold the spring while applying pressure is also risky.

My preferred method is to support one side of the spring with a slightly large tool like a 0.7 or 0.9 screwdriver and use a thin rod to rub on the other side. This creates a bend with a larger radius (think English Wheel but in two dimensions). Since the bend has a larger radius any metal fatigue is lessened. This method makes very small changes so the risk of overbending and having to bend it back again is lessened. The trick with manipulating hairsprings is to make small movements.... and like anything with hairsprings, one small misstep will ruin your day.

For out of flat hairsprings.... now thats another story.

Anilv

Hi Jackie.. Sorry to say I don't have a technique..if I succeed it usually down to luck. Only tip I have is to fix the 'out-of-flat' before trying to get the hairspring concentric and in between the regulator pins.

Anilv

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Well done, let us know how you get on with the citizen. 
    • @Neverenoughwatches Rich, I can only agree with you wholeheartedly. I spend a lot of time here learning all sorts and trying to make any little contribution to help others I can. Nothing can last forever and I wish I could do more to contribute to the forum financially and any other support I could.   Tom
    • This forum is a big part of my life. When I retired from horology many years ago due to poor health I missed what I had trained for. On here I can still do my bit in helping and advising others and have a little fun as well.  
    • First thing this morning, make coffee, second, check the forum.  I would really miss the forum, not on any social media, not interested in telling the world what I had for breakfast!!! I do consider most of the regulars friends and would wonder what had happened if they stopped posting. 
    • Hi all Thought I'd show my small and trying to keep under control watch collection! Apart from the Enicar all were under £12! At least if I destroy them in the process then I won't be too worse off. A few pics to start off with First of all my first attempt. A Thuya pocket watch. It was only running face down and would stop when vertical. So now it still works face down and only slows down when vertical so at least an improvement! 😄  I only have a generic watch oil at the mo so that won't help but I'm hoping to get some more appropriate oils in a couple of months for my birthday. I did have to get a crystal for it since it didn't come with one. It didn't look as though it would friction fit (and I don't have a crystal press in any case) so I glued it to the case with PVA. So far so good. Next up above are a sekonda and citizen automatic. Both non runners. Both with broken balance wheels amongst other things. I'm hopeful the citizen will start when I get the new one I ordered but the sekonda is being kept for spares and trial of new techniques. And finally the Enicar and the timemaster. Both running when I got them. I wanted to get running watches so that at least I stood a fighting chance of still having a running watch after the service! It was all going well on the Enicar until I dropped the balance wheel during reassembly...😔. Unfortunately they are quite expensive to get so for now I'll won't do anything with it but I would like to fix it at one point. The timemaster is still running (yeah!) but I managed to break a dial foot during the deassembly. First repair attempt failed so now I am looking at soldering it back on... So there we go. My initial foray into this great hobby. Thanks for sticking with this tale so far.  I'm hoping that once the balance wheel arrives for the citizen I will be able to say I bought a non runner and fixed it! So fingers crossed. Thanks for looking, Nick