It's the little things in life

My wife has had a jumbo size jar of pickles of the bench for the last 2 months that has defied all efforts to open it.

Bought a new Silicone jar opener, made no difference.

Holding the jar at 45 degrees and slapping the bottom of the jar to use the 'water hammer' effect didn't work.

Me holding the jar and my son trying to open it didn't work.

Heating the jar lid with me holding the jar and my son trying to open it didn't work.

After coming home tonight from the pub I could see my wife had tried to open it again without success.

I gave up and searched the web for how to open stuck pickle jars and one suggestion was use a bottle opener on the side of the lid.

I very carefully used my best bottle opener (Hand forged by a blacksmith) on the edge of the lid and 'pop' went the lid without the lid being damaged.

The jar is now open after 2 months of trying, is there anything the web can't help you with?

:D

• Like 2

Air needs to get in, since the jar has to a good extent been vaccumed, it is heated and the sealer lid is preesed on, as it cools a relative vaccum inside creates suction if you will, that is like strong  pressure from the outside pressing on the lid.

Proper proceesing is of high significance, on jar, bottling and canning lines alike, since in addition to the processed content, the consumer health and producers repution is on the line, processed food safety is No one concern in modern societies of today. 

Other techniques in industry is to preesurize the inside with like nitrogen gas, inerst to the food stuff. Which is probably used in your coke and beer bottles, depending on the country and regulations. 

You can also tap on the rim of the lid, to disfigure the lid enough for air to get in.

Best

Edited by Nucejoe
Not from internet, imported bottling line for son in law, kronas of Germany.

The best solutions are normally found after a visit to the pub.

I've watched enough episodes of Morse to know that there's not a problem known to man that a beer can't help to solve.[emoji3]

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Seafoam!  In the tank and the aerosol can into the fuel rail.  (If you can get Seafoam where you are).  Also freed the stuck valve on my '93 Pathfinder and their Deep Creep penetrating oil is the only thing I use on anything from tractors to rusted motion works!