So ive been wanting to build my own watch for a while after having worked on my own watches for quite some time. The only apprehension i have is how does one size a dial to fit a case. Lets say i have a miyota 8215 a 41 mm cade that fits that movement would a 31 mm dial fit that case? 

I guess my question is how does one tell if a dial will fit a case. I understand all cases are different

Measure the visible opening inside the case ... what you see from the front. Then measure the inside diameter of the case where the movement or movement ring would sit. The dial should be between those two measurements. It will probably be about a 1.5mm tolerance.

Hi! 

The case usually will specify the dial diameters that it can accommodate. This is usually based on the dial slots within the case. As stated in the previous replies, you can use a caliper to measure the inside of the case, however if this is your first build, I would look into the case specified dial diameters. 

Remember that the primary component of the watch, the movement, will dictate which dial, case, and hands you will use. 

When I built my first watch, I used a Miyota 8215 and then chose the case, dial, and hands specifically for that movement. There are tons of options on ebay. 

If you want you can look into my post on my first watch build, as I provided links to the different parts (First Build). 

My advice would be to choose your movement and then look for cases, hands, and dials specifically for that movement and choose the dial size depending on the tolerances for that particular case. 

Best,

guido

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Furqan
      Hello Everyone.
      I need some help with repairing my Emporio Armani ar-1922.
      I've watched some videos on YouTube but none of them resemble the movement of this particular watch.
      My first problem is removing the stem/crown. I cannot see anything which looks like it will release the stem and I don't want to poke around inside it any more for fear of creating any damage.
      Any help will be much appreciated.
      Thanks.

• By Mrfixit
      Hi peoole, any idea what this movement is ? Suffers a broken centre pinion I would like to source. Thanks in advance.

• By east3rn
      Hello I had a chance to acquire to two watch movement+dial sets which are from JLC and AP
      However, I am having trouble finding cases to fit these.
      Could anyone help me find cases that would fit these movements?
      Non genuine cases are OK. 

• By east3rn
      Hello dear watchmakers!
      I am now working on a SU movement, Slava 2427. It is a manual-wind movement with day-date complication
      I am trying to assemble the watch back together after service but I am stuck on the day disc.
      The day disc is fitted OK in my view, teeth underneath the disc interacts with the click and the disc advances naturally as other motion works move clockwise.
      However, the problem is that the days written on the disc are not in the right position and do not fit inside the day window of the dial.
      What could I have done wrong?? 
      Thank you!

• By east3rn
      Hello. 
      I am working on this  vintage A.Schild movement and a jewel on the wheel bridge.
      It is a jewel for the 3rd wheel but is cracked so needs replacement.
      I measured the outer and inner diameter and they are 1.2mm and 0.17mm respectively.
      Could any one help me find the replacement for this jewel??
      I am always grateful for your help.