Winterhalter&Hofmier clock

watchweasol

Hi Guys Just finished This quality clock. It had suffered from poor repairs previousy the holes having been punched instead of bushed, the escape wheel bearing was still bad and had to be re=bushed, the retail value of the clock has been devalued due to poor repairs. Stripped leaned and bushed its now ticking away happily another rescued. Dial was cleaned as the chapter ring was filthy with engrained dirt elbow grease and a damp bud cleaned it up ok without any damage Also did its pal the Gingerbread (ansonia) both live in the same house. Taken some time to get them done but worthwhile.

DSCF3243.JPG

DSCF3244.JPG

DSCF3247.JPG

DSCF3190.JPG

DSCF3192.JPG

DSCF3240.JPG

• Thanks 1

Prick punching of pivot holes is bad practice but it is very common to see, its done  around the hole on the inside of the plate, unless the clock is going to be completely taken apart by the new owner there would be no obvious sign that this has happened, value of these ting tang clock's is pretty much dependent on case style and how elaborate the decoration but a pretty plain style ting tangs runs between £50.00 - £100.00 I doubt the value has been altered very much if at all assuming it functions as it should.

Edited by wls1971

5 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  As an exile Yorkshire man (ex Leeds/Tadcaster) to me anybody butchering a clock in sutch a way is no artisan and has no pride in his work, probably working on a profit basis, get it in get it out and charge.  They need re-bushing them selves. 

Yes correct I cannot dispute that but prick punching was a wide spread and common practice in the past I see so many clocks that at some point in its life the practice has been used, I just accept it as part of that clocks history and rebush a jobbing clock repairer of the past was no artisan just another high street business along with butcher, baker and candlestick maker.

Edited by wls1971

Hi  I can understand to a point (prick punching) this one had been attacked with either a screwdriver or small chisel leaving a "V"shape around the bearings in question leaving the plate unsightly. No clock repairer with any mechanical sympathy would be proud of work of that nature. There is no excuse for any professional or enthusiast to do that.

No there isn't a photo would have made that damage clear, but I assumed it had prick punching performed, I have seen many bad repairs that would have actually taken longer to bodge than to do the job correctly, the worst was a very nice Gillett and Johnston clock with a broken pivot on the contrate wheel, the repairer had drilled and tapped the plate and screwed a piece of drilled brass  to act as a new pivot hole on the inside of the plate, rather than re-pivoting, these things are sent to try us, I just re-pivoted, plugged the hole they had created and bushed the original pivot hole.